Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I would like to know what other users have experienced when using a Live CD (Knoppix?,...) with a PCMCI Wireless adapter? I have seen in the past a lot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    sbn
    Just Joined!

Live CD + Wifi = Possible? Problems?

Hi, I would like to know what other users have experienced when using a Live CD (Knoppix?,...) with a PCMCI Wireless adapter? I have seen in the past a lot of comments regarding Linux and wifi, enough so that to this point I have avoided it all together. But I am looking at getting some refurb laptops for different family members and would like to use something simple like a live CD. But they can only connect to the internet via wireless only.

Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah, I have heard that Knoppi, as well as Mepis is quite good at setting up wifi.

The trick is really getting the right chipset. With others you can use ndiswrapper. I also would recommend Mepis, it was the first distro I ever used that picked up my wifi card. They all followed suit after that ..... (Atheros chipset).

I got my wifi card working very easily in Kanotix with Ndiswrapper (kanotix has a graphical front-end for ndiswrapper).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

i've also heard kanotix is the distro for networking liveCD style. go with that.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Enthusiast
    Also Kanotix is very good installed to HD as well as a live CD

Just Joined!
    How do you install an ndis wrapper to work on a live CD?

as i said above i think that kanotix comes with the ndiswrapper already. i don't know much about it though. your best bet would be to check www.kanotix.org
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    Hi There,

I don't know much about linux atm but I got my Belkin usb wifi adaptor working under Ubuntu Linux running off of the cd. Good Luck!!! (Hope This Helps)