Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by lordnothing anyways.. compiling a kernel isn't *that* difficult.. just make sure you follow the instructions in the HOWTO... Last time i looked for the HOW-TO it was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    anyways.. compiling a kernel isn't *that* difficult.. just make sure you follow the instructions in the HOWTO...
    Last time i looked for the HOW-TO it was out to lunch for a re-write....is it back yet?
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Engineer
    actually, i cheat using
    Code:
    genkernel --config
    it's a utility in gentoo that does all the compiling and installing for you, but if you add the --config to it, you can still change the config.. you should look into seeing if genkernel will work for other distros.. it's actually a really nice tool..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

But you can't beat pouring over your .config file or even menuconfig for 30m while you're building a new kernel.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    genkernel --config *is* menuconfig... just issues all the compile and install commands for you :P
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    I have a Compaq 2140us that runs all hardware flawlessly with SuSE.

I would like to point out though, this was while I was still experimenting with which distro to go with. I tried several, and SuSE was the only one which allowed the use of all hardware (except the linmodem). All others would lock up whenever it tried to enable pcmcia, so I had to go around and disable that to run Linux on my laptop. I saw a link to a fix for the pcmcia driver for Redhat, Fedora, and Mandrake on another Linux forum, however I don't use pcmcia devices anyway, so I didn't bother. If that's an issue, I could probably find the link again.

'course I'm still just an ignorant newbie, with less than 3 weeks of running linux, and only 5 days on the distro I decided to keep using as it currently suits my level the most (Fedora Core 1).

nezumi yeh your right i run SuSE on the laptop i thought i'd never see again that prompted this thread. also ..if you have a delay in the recognition of pcmcia cards then change .................(<-- will fill this in later) to 100 to look for pcmcia cards every 100 secounds or ns or something like that...

oh welll i can't remember ....got to sleep i'll fix it tomarrwo
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Newbie
    hey there prolly still newbie with linux (maybe not anymore) but found out that mandrake 9.2 see and accepted everything fine on my Toshiba satellite P4 2.8GHz - even the bloody printer that I was never be able to configure on rathed9 - anyway also dual boot fine now with 3 OSs (mandrake9.2, slackware9.1 and winXP) and problems ... 0 (zero, natha, niente, fine)

good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2