Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok so i'm buying a new laptop,lent it to my sister and didn't give it back O'well..........she did give it to me when she got a new one last month,that's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Notebook as compatibly as possible?

Ok so i'm buying a new laptop,lent it to my sister and didn't give it back O'well..........she did give it to me when she got a new one last month,that's in the shop for third time......enough on that.(she's a Blond, takes 8yr warrenty's on computers?????????Don't understand! Don't want to).

Dose anyone of you know of a great laptop other than some of the IBM's that work with linux out of the box with no screwing around or the one that is most compatable without looking up each indvidual piece of hardware for compatability...any company saying that they are making linux compatable notebooks besides IBM.

i've run it on gateways,hp's, compaq's--linmodems,wrong dvd drives ect...
    but since i'm buying new i'd like to get as compatable as possible! The linmodem dosn't matter as much, that's fixable

Otherwies have hardware list will travel..........
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

A lot of laptops will work flawlessly with GNU/Linux.. you could also choose one you'd like to buy and post the hardware list here so we could see if there's any hardware you should avoid, and what hardware to choose over another etc..

If i could get a full & complete hardware list seems to be like pulling teeth from some of thease companys just giving a brand and not a spacific part
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i have a toshiba satellite and it works pretty much flawless with linux. the only 2 problems are the battery manager and the touchpad. the battery thing you have to compile or install a mod to the kernel and the touch bad is install something and reinstall the kernel. i havent tryed either of these cause i always leave my laptop plugged in and i have an external mouse i use with it so i dont have any problems but i bet its not that hard to get those 2 things working correctly. hope this helps
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

big K exactly :rock: , my missing laptop is a 2 yr old gateway no apm and no battery no modem all fixable with moduals,patches or a re-compile, but dose anyone know of ont that works out of the box...or is this just not possible with commercial distro's of linux yet..ie: compile your own kernal ! ? :banghead: Not quite ready to compile one yet.....
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules

to tell you the truth i dont think it is possible as of yet? if any of them are ready i would check into suse. it would prolly be your best bet. but i dont think any of that stuff worked when i ran it on my laptop.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I use SuSE 8.2 and out of the box it doesn't. I don't know about Suse 9.0
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

yeah i dont think any of them do. you will have to do some stuff to get it working right sorry for the bad news dude
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Linux Engineer
    anyways.. compiling a kernel isn't *that* difficult.. just make sure you follow the instructions in the HOWTO...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

No biggie it's fun ..@#$%^&*...to learn it, have to learn it anyways.....just thought i'd ask.

THNX
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast