Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello. I want to buy a laptop, and it will be my main PC for the coming years. I don't want to spend more than 1000 euros, and preferably less. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Is this 64 bit processor laptop good for me?

Hello.

I want to buy a laptop, and it will be my main PC for the coming years. I don't want to spend more than 1000 euros, and preferably less.

I saw a laptop with a 64 bit processor that is well within this range:

HP Pavilion ZE2345 AMD Turion 3000+ 64 bit/2x256MB DDR/60GB/15"TFT (XGA)/ATI Xpress 200M/DVD writer R/RW (DL)/6-1/56K/IEEE1394/LAN/XPH

for 640.00 EURO ex. VAT (www . acesdirect . nl).

The most resource intensive tasks it will be performing is running my self written inefficient simulation programs (coded in Matlab). Maybe I'll do some video editing/transcoding with it too.

And ofcourse I want to run Linux on it. I'm not very good at configuring and I would prefer not to spend too much time on that.

Is this 64 bit processor laptop a good one for me? Or would my money be better spend on a higher clocking speed or a larger memory?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Daan

The processor seems OK, but the worry for me would be the video chipset. Can you find simlar with nvidia graphics rather than ATI? The ATI drivers have been known to give some folks a headache in Linux...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

i think there is only one turion/geforce laptop model in existence and it's very expensive. it runs a geforce go 7000 series card. i've got an acer travelmate 4651LMi, which, under SuSE is an excellent lappy, with a pentium M 1.6GHz, and a geforce go 6600. if you can, i'd recommend you get your hands on one for under 1000. best value for money laptop in existence imo.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yeah worry about the ATI chipset .....as in you wont be playing 3d games on it anytime soon! atleast not with the ati opengl but if it is not for games than it will do, (the standard vga driver will do)
    (loft306 has never bothered to setup opengl on a lappie)

and one of thease days im picking one of thease up(actualy the compaq version) but prob with a ml-37 cpu

and yes the turion is a good cpu for all that i have read on it and its power consumption is very low also
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

I strongly agree, DO NOT USE ATI. I have one myself and it was a pain to get it to use direct rendering. I also use a 64 bit processor and from my experience certain things are not up to par with the 64 bit software. It's ok but using SuSE 9.3, i still havn't been able to get it to play dvds. For x86 it's just as simple as installing libdvdcss and reinstalling an uncrippled media player, but for 64 bit it's much more of a hastle for some odd reason. So just consider that. But perhaps with 64 bit SuSE 10 it has been fixed... i don't know.
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.

Thanks for the advice, people!

Deadman, a 1000 pounds is way over my budget, I want to spend less than a 1000 euros, which us about 700 pounds.

I took a look what other laptops the same vendor has in the same price class, and here are some:

Acer TRAVELMATE 2413LCI CELM-1.5G 60GB 512MB 15IN COMBO XPP NL

which has a an Intel 910GML video chip set. It goes for 644.00 euro ex. VAT, 770.00 in. VAT (about 500 pounds)

HP Compaq nx6125 AMD Sempron 2800 (1.6Ghz) 2x256MB 60GB(4200) 15i TFT DVDRW DL WLAN8 02.11b Windows XP

for 641.00 euro ex. VAT.

Acer Aspire 3003WLMi_512 AMD Sempron XP 3000+ (1.8 Ghz) 15.4"TFT 2*256MB 60GB Dual DVD WLAN QW WXPHome SP2

for 686 euro ex. VAT.

These all have a processor clocking speed much lower than the 2.4 GHz of the HP Pavilion ZE2345. And they don't have 64 bit processors.

But what I need to know is:

How much faster is a 64 bit processor?

And: how much more trouble is it configuring a laptop that has one?

The HP Pavilion ZE2345 is one of the cheapest laptops the vendor has, and I would be really be happy with lots of processor power for little money.

I'm not into games or anything, so I don't care about 3D stuff. I don't have the NVidia driver installed on my desktop PC, and I don't notice any difference, except that my PC doesn't crash anymore, because the NVidia driver made it crash all the time (a bug well known among many Linux users).

loft306, jpalfree, Would this standard VGA driver enable me to watch a DVD? It would be annoying if I cannot watch a DVD...

Quote Originally Posted by Daan
    But what I need to know is:

How much faster is a 64 bit processor?
    Dunno, but my 64-bit laptop feels quite a bit faster than my 2.5GHz P4 tower. I much much prefer the lappy.

And: how much more trouble is it configuring a laptop that has one?
    None whatsoever. I've had exactly the same problems with both 32-bit and 64-bit installations. I use FC4, and everything that is supported on 32-bit is there on 64-bit with one exception - there is no Macromedia Flash player for 64 bit linux. If you view web pages that use flash often, then install the 32-bit version of Linux.

The HP Pavilion ZE2345 is one of the cheapest laptops the vendor has, and I would be really be happy with lots of processor power for little money.
    Shop around elsewhere. I have an HP Pavilion zv5000, and to be honest, its an awesome PC.

I'm not into games or anything, so I don't care about 3D stuff. I don't have the NVidia driver installed on my desktop PC, and I don't notice any difference, except that my PC doesn't crash anymore, because the NVidia driver made it crash all the time (a bug well known among many Linux users).

loft306, jpalfree, Would this standard VGA driver enable me to watch a DVD? It would be annoying if I cannot watch a DVD...
    You're not into 3D stuff until you find something you need it for. If you have any choice whatsoever, never get an ATI card for Linux. ATI dont let you use its potential.

Try to get one with an nvidia card in it And dont worry about crashing, the only time I've had problems with crashing nvidia cards is when using bleeding-edge cards. When I got my 5600 a couple of years ago there was no Linux support in the drivers at the time and it was a bassad to set up. All that is fixed now, of course.

You're concerned about DVD playback. The slower your video hardware, the more likely it is that you'll have problems playing DVDs. The latest distros let you play DVDs, MP3's and all kinds of other propreitary format stuff if you get hold of the right modules and patches. The info for all that is scattered about on this site liberally.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

hmm... i've forgotten why i wrote 1000, since mine only cost 800. maybe i meant euros or something. ah well, if it's back on the site, i'd highly recommend it, unless you have very CPU intensive needs. the 3D performance is amazing for only 800 imo.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Thanks for the advice, people. Roxoff, you're right. It would be waste to buy a laptop with a graphics card that I cannot use to its full potential. I'll make an other choice, maybe this one:

acer aspire 5002wlmi_100 amd turion 64 ml-30 (1.5 GHz) 15.4 inch tft 2*512mb 100gb dual dvd lilon lan qw wxphome sp2
    SiSM760GX integrated graphical adapter

for 965 euros (incl VAT).

Less processor power, but more memory. Higher price too though. And no TV out... I'm not sure...

zeg
    Just Joined!
    Is there a 64-bit Matlab binary out there? If the bulk of your compute-intensive stuff is in Matlab and it's still a 32-bit app, you won't see the benefit of the new architecture. You might be better off with a 32-bit processor that gives you more video card freedom and a lower price tag.

However, the Turion looks to be a pretty nice processor, even at 32 bits. I'm waiting for my Turion laptop to ship. It's got an ATI card, unfortunately, but I don't expect to do any fancy stuff with it. Plus it was about $800 US, which is hard to argue with.

Edit: Just realized that matlab does have 64-bit support under Linux, so never mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast