Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a friend who I've been encouraging to try Linux for a while now. At my suggestion, he is trying open suse 10. The machine he wants to run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

General tips for configuring OpenSuse 10 on a laptop?

I have a friend who I've been encouraging to try Linux for a while now. At my suggestion, he is trying open suse 10. The machine he wants to run it on is a laptop, and while he was able to get Suse running on just the laptop he ran into problems when trying to get it working in his docking station. Can anyone here suggest the best way to install with this respect? Should he have the lappy hooked into the docking station when he does the install, or do a stand alone install and then configure the separate keyboard, mouse, monitor later? All of my linux experience is with desktops so I haven't been able to help him with this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

use suse profile manager that will let you set up for docking station or standalone system.

go to yast -> novell apparmor & configure from there. hope this helps

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    Thanks deltaflyer! I'll have him try that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    when he has it up & running to choose a profile from desktop go to kmenu -> system ->desktop applet ->profile chooser

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845