Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy how to install mandriva onto my laptop (no cdrom,no floppy)?

My laptop does not have cdrom, nor floppy,. and it can't even boot from network. I don't want to buy an usb cdrom.

My laptop currently has winxp on it. and i know how to partition hdd.

Is there anyway to install mandriva ?? (well, other distro are fine ...as long as i can install some linux) Is there a way have all the linux files on my partition and let it boot from there to install??

btw, i am newbie to linux too.

interesting question...
    well, afaik there are a couple of minimalized linux distros that were designed to run from a bootable usb stick.
    as for mandriva i don't really think there's a chance to get it working from a usb drive, the same is prob true for the other major distros (since i'm a suse man, i know that there are problems with that distro for instance).
    however, you might wanna check out those links
    knoppix
    feather linux
    SPB linux
    debian sarge

cheers,
    dcmah
    ~

ps no floppy, no cdrom/dvd?? that's...unusual...

mandriva w/o floppy or cd/dvd

You might be able to copy the install cds/isos to xp/windows partion-not the one being installed to- and tell installer to install from the isos. Here is slackware install FAQ answer to How do I install from ISO9660 image:http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq....installation#1. Just scroll down questions until correct one. Mandriva people I am sure can give you details. CD/dvd players are so cheap. As long as bios supports usb booting,why make it so tough?Even flash drives will work. Good luck.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close