Find the answer to your Linux question:
My laptop does not have cdrom, nor floppy,. and it can't even boot from network. I don't want to buy an usb cdrom. My laptop currently has winxp on it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy how to install mandriva onto my laptop (no cdrom,no floppy)?

My laptop does not have cdrom, nor floppy,. and it can't even boot from network. I don't want to buy an usb cdrom.

My laptop currently has winxp on it. and i know how to partition hdd.

Is there anyway to install mandriva ?? (well, other distro are fine ...as long as i can install some linux) Is there a way have all the linux files on my partition and let it boot from there to install??

btw, i am newbie to linux too.

Just Joined!
    interesting question...
    well, afaik there are a couple of minimalized linux distros that were designed to run from a bootable usb stick.
    as for mandriva i don't really think there's a chance to get it working from a usb drive, the same is prob true for the other major distros (since i'm a suse man, i know that there are problems with that distro for instance).
    however, you might wanna check out those links
    knoppix
    feather linux
    SPB linux
    debian sarge

cheers,
    dcmah
    ~

ps no floppy, no cdrom/dvd?? that's...unusual...

Just Joined!

mandriva w/o floppy or cd/dvd

You might be able to copy the install cds/isos to xp/windows partion-not the one being installed to- and tell installer to install from the isos. Here is slackware install FAQ answer to How do I install from ISO9660 image:http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq....installation#1. Just scroll down questions until correct one. Mandriva people I am sure can give you details. CD/dvd players are so cheap. As long as bios supports usb booting,why make it so tough?Even flash drives will work. Good luck.