Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, I知 sending out a distress call to everyone. I have a Toshiba Tecra A4, which has a Marvell 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet card and an Intel 2915 ABG Wireless ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distress Call!

Hello all,

I知 sending out a distress call to everyone. I have a Toshiba Tecra A4, which has a Marvell 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet card and an Intel 2915 ABG Wireless card. I have tried just about every distribution of Linux to try and get them both working out of the box, but to no avail. The two distributions that got it *close* to working are SuSE 10.0 and Mandriva 2006. Therefore, I知 asking anyone who has this kind of hardware to respond and let me know how they got things working. Also, if anyone can help me troubleshoot this problem, I would be more than willing to work with them. In the spirit of open source, I seek out the help of the community. Thanks for any and all help. Enjoy Linux!

I don't have those exact hardware, but I am sure I can be of help. Now, SUSE should have been able to get atleast the ipw card working out of the box.

If you are using 10.0 OSS, you might need to get the firmware from here:
    ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i3...5-6.noarch.rpm and a kernel module from here: ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i3...4-20a.i586.rpm and install with yast. Also, check in yast for any instance of ipw and install it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    AlexK, you always seem to respond to my posts - thank you! Well, I will try your answer in a bit and let you know how it worked out. Also, is there something I need to know about starting both NICs at boot time? Is it allowed? Well, thanks again, and I'll post my results later.

What problems did you have? Kernel panics? Video problems? Network problems?

Let us know and we will be glad to help .

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Just network problems, actually. Can't connect via the Marvell hard line or my Intel 2915 wireless. My video is great. The only other concern (other than these two network adapters) is my PCMCIA adapter. I have an Orinoco Classic Gold PC Card that doesn't seem to want to play with Mandriva or SuSE. Well, I guess that includes all my NICs! Thanks again for any and all help!

Did you try installing the non-gpl kernel module +intel firmware to get the card running?

Now for bring up devices at boot time, simply set it up in Yast -> Network Devices -> Network card -> Advanced -> Detailed settings. For the card you want to use always, set it to load at boot, for other cards especially wired ones, set it to upon cable connection or similar.

Just Joined!
    Well, no luck with SuSE 10 and installing the kernel module and firmware. Actually, I noticed that the IPW2200 firmware was already installed before I installed the new version. However, I did have luck with Mandriva 2006. I was able to setup both of my network cards correctly, but once I restarted my computer, I couldn't get either to work. Isn't this strange? Please help!

Hmm, I have had a problem like that with Mandrake 10.1, as soon as computer was restarted the network drivers would disappear. The fix for that was to go through the network setup again or tell the system to modprobe the drivers when it loads. Since I haven't used Mandrake 10.1 in more than a year, I can't be of too much help there.

What was the problem with SUSE? Once the drivers and stuff are installed, what did iwconfig spit out (for wireless) and ifconfig (for wired and wireless)?

Just Joined!
    Well, the problem with SuSE was that after I installed the new firmware, my wireless card completely disappeared. If I ran "ifconfig", I could only see my Marvell (wired) NIC. If I ran "iwconfig", I couldn't find my wireless card, so it all said "wireless extensions not found." Hmmm, I can't figure out why my network settings would dump on me when I rebooted, but Mandriva handled it fine!

Linux Engineer
    Linuxmunky, for the Marvell NIC there should be a linux driver from the manufacturer himself. For your Intel NIC, I can't tell... I suppose you have Centrino platform? With a recent kernel, Centrino is supported. It's more a matter of setting it up correctly then finding a driver for it .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast