Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Compaq Armada m300, this laptop only has one battery that hangs out the back. A whopping 32whr's. I have been trying to get as much life out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How much power does your laptop drink?

I have a Compaq Armada m300, this laptop only has one battery that hangs out the back. A whopping 32whr's. I have been trying to get as much life out as possible from it but have not really succeded yet.

I am running Slackware 10.2 with acpi enabled. I have been to the battery-powered-laptop page and done some things with hdparm, as well as some other tweaks and can only get my battery life up to 1 hour and 15 minutes doing word processing under xfce.

Insided acpi it tells me how man mwh'rs or whatever my laptop is using. I would be interested in knowing how much power a laptop of my size should be pulling. I can get it down to 10000 with my hard drive spun down, the screen on lowest brightness, etc.

If someone could do a "cat /proc/acpi/battery/bat/state" on their laptop and tell me what their rate of discharge is that would be cool so I could get a bearing on if I can get any more life out of this thing.

I have rebuilt the battery pack btw, before it only lasted about 20 minutes and would hard crash at 40% battery left.

Thanks,
    Fourthbean

I cant investigate my battery at the moment (I'm at work) but I do keep the battery topped up. My HP lappy has a 64bit Athlon processor and runs for 2 to 2 1/2 hours when doing office type stuff - the ACPI slows the cpu down when on battery and I can choose slower settings too if I've got the right gnome tools on the panel, so I could eke it out longer. When playing games (and the video chipset is really burning it) battery time can come down to little more than an hour.

The laptop manufacturers recommend that the battery be completely discharged and then recharged once a month to keep it in tip top condition, and I try to keep up with this, although most of the time it runs plugged in.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    My laptop says that battery gives fully charged 4000 mAh and 14,8V.
    This lappy is Acer TravelMate 252 from summer 2004 with P4 2,6 GHz CPU.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Once the laptop is running on battery power, what is the rate of discharge? That is what I am really trying to figure out.

Just Joined!

m300 battery life

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthbean
    If someone could do a "cat /proc/acpi/battery/bat/state" on their laptop and tell me what their rate of discharge is that would be cool so I could get a bearing on if I can get any more life out of this thing.

I have rebuilt the battery pack btw, before it only lasted about 20 minutes and would hard crash at 40% battery left.

Thanks,
    Fourthbean
    Hi,
    would report my state if it were not for my battery suddenly fell silent. Had 2 hours+ life on my m300 battery until recently, when suddenly it stopped charging and now is dead as grave. Apm reports 47%, but charge light just flashes orange when AC connected. Will search for solder breaks or loose contacts, but since you write you had your battery pack rebuild because it crashed at 40%, I thought there might be some correlation here.

Any hints? Service is not an option, would rather cut it open myself.
    Thanks,
    Benjamin

Just Joined!
    Mine would actually charge to "100%" and all 5 green lights on the bottom would come on when the button was pushed. But it would only last till ~40%. I believe that my problem is the circitry inside the battery thinking I still have old cells and that they will only charge to 13watts (when the battery is fully charged, ie all 5 lights come on on the battery, acpi shows 13watts capacity). I would think you would have good luck replacing your cells, or finding a problem with them.

Don't plan on taking the pack appart and getting it back together in one piece though, the plastic is so thin it just breaks. I am holding mine together with masking tape.

I don't think there is a corelation between the two packs, since mine actually powered the laptop for 20-40 minutes before shutting off.

Good luck with your pack, and let me know if you get it fixed and how it all went.

Fourthbean

Code:
    mastah@killah:~/.mplayer$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
    present:                 yes
    capacity state:          ok
    charging state:          discharging
    present rate:            914 mA
    remaining capacity:      4238 mAh
    present voltage:         16421 mV
    I don't have a battery installed as BAT1, but apparently I could.

I get around 4 hours 35 minutes surfing the net, doing various not so CPU intensive tasks, connected on wireless. No power management on the Hard Drive, I don't like it.

With powermanagement on the Hard Drive, I get around 5 hours of battery life.

The laptop is an Asus Z63A.

Debian Etch
    Custom kernel 2.6.15.7
    Various Power Management packages (acpi, acpid, acpitool, powersaved, laptop-mode-tools, etc.)
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info. I am quite sure at this point that I could get 3-4 hours out of a 2.7Amp battery pack. I guess it is just my circuitry that is goofing me up. I wish there was a way of reseting it!

Just Joined!
    Good news, my masking tape holding the battery together was wearing thin and the battery kinda fell apart in one place. After taking the battery out of the computer and re-taping it the battery charged to it's full capacity of 30 watts!

I have not done a run-down test to make sure it works but it looks like I am going to get 2 to 2.5 hours of battery life easy. Maybe I can squeeze 3 out with some power saving features.

Thank you everyone for the stats on your batteries.