Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys. I've recently installed Fedora Core 4 on my laptop in addition to the preinstalled WinXP. I'm a COMPLETE Linux newb, so everything I've done in it so far ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire 1640 Sound Card

Hey guys.
    I've recently installed Fedora Core 4 on my laptop in addition to the preinstalled WinXP.
    I'm a COMPLETE Linux newb, so everything I've done in it so far (mounting drives, etc) has been done on an intuitive level.
    Now I've finally hit a serious problem that I don't have a clue about - the sound card doesn't work. I did some reading on the internet and found out that its a conflict between the modem and soundcard. I have NO idea how to fix it.
    Would anyone please be able to help me out (in simple little steps)?

Thanks sooooo much.

Just Joined!

Question more info

hi

what chip-set has it got tryd looking but acer's site is so slow, i have an aspire 3023
    and have had fc4 try ubuntu it loves laptops and works like a dream on mine getting sarge on this thing was hell.

Just Joined!
    anyone have any luck with this? I'm running mandriva 2006 and have tried everything I've seen while googling, but still no sound. As it looks like I'm running out of ideas, anyone know of a distro which does work on the aspire 1640?
    Thanx

Just Joined!

Smile Ubuntu Dapper

anyone know of a distro which does work on the aspire 1640? Thanx
    I have an Acer Aspire 1640, and nearly everything works with Ubuntu Linux Dapper. Here is the full list of things that work/dont work. You can download Ubuntu Dapper here (beware, still in beta version !).

Good luck !
    Nicolas Raoul

Just Joined!
    tried ubuntu dapper - got sound but nothing on the screen .... nothing at all!
    I tried the live cd and it was obviously doing something, despite there being no output on the screen, so I left it and, hey presto, I heard the login music (well, I guess it was the login music).
    Any ideas for solutions? If possible, I'd still like to know if anyone's managed to get sound on the aspire 1640 using Mandriva 2006.

Just Joined!

Graphics

Hi!!

I have installed ubuntu in my Acer Aspire 1640, and everything is working fine except of the graphics. The available resolutions are 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and the only refresh rate available is 60 Hz. But, I think the hw is not using its full potential, so does anybody know how to resolve this?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Raoul
    I have an Acer Aspire 1640, and nearly everything works with Ubuntu Linux Dapper. Here is the full list of things that work/dont work. You can download Ubuntu Dapper here (beware, still in beta version !).

Good luck !
    Nicolas Raoul