Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm about to start installing Suse on my trusty old toshiba. My friend has the disks and I can't remember which version. It's got a P166, 96mb ram, 20 gig ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Toshiba Satelite Pro 460CDT

I'm about to start installing Suse on my trusty old toshiba. My friend has the disks and I can't remember which version. It's got a P166, 96mb ram, 20 gig hdd, 10x cd-rom and I have a bunch of added on peripherals for it. I'm going to mainly use it for cmdline stuff so I think it'll do good. Max ram for it is 160mb, but since nobody makes ram for it anymore the price has skyrocketed. I mean, I paid about $130 in parts and put it together myself so I'm not gonna pay the same amount for one ram chip.

I also have a few other machines that I'm going to experiment with, all old and all very interesting when it comes to Linux. I'm kindof a newbie with Linux. What I'd *like* to do is have all my machines talking to the laptop as a server or at least hooked up to it as a hub of some kind. I'm still debating. The place i work still use old dumb terminals and I get to score one or two of those, and those'll be fun to wire up, heh heh.

Nathan

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which linux I should put on this laptop? I've tried the newest Kubuntu and it didn't work out (as a live cd at least). Is there a lightweight linux out there, that doesn't have much of a gui but a killer command line shell, preferably bash?

Nathan

/edit I haven't gotten a chance to try suse. I haven't been to my friend's house.

slackware is a good one for older hardware. there are a few lightweight distros that are availiable check out www.distrowatch.com they should be able to point you in the right direction. you can get a x11 to work but i would recomend using fluxbox or IceWm both are lightweight and will run better on that hardware. if you try Gnome or KDE you will have problems.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Suse didn't want to load. It didn't like a lot of the hardware that was onboard. I think I'll try slackware based like you suggested, carlos. I sure wish I could use some kind of solaris on it.

BTW, just for giggles, do a google search for "linux toshiba 460cdt" and you'll find THIS THREAD as the first listing and near the bottom of the page has my actual name! It tripped me out!!

yeah acouple of my posts i have been pointed to by google when researching one of the problems i was having. do a search for OpenSolaris if your interest is in solaris. they opened the source code a bit ago. it looks to be way too complicated right now. i looked at the site and they seem to not have anything organized as of yet. http://www.opensolaris.org/os/

but if you can get gentoo installed i imagine its not a big leap to get solaris installed.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!

Smile 460CDT owners unite with wireless?

I have a desire to use my linksys 802.11G wireless in my trusty 460CDT's pcmcII slot. The system will be used for browsing favorite net sites and email. I am an experienced pc tech but a newbe to Linux. What distribution would be my best bet. The disk is available for a linux only installation. I have 768k of ram memory and the standard 2 gb drive, cdrom and external floppy.

Megelton

I am not smart enough to quote anything of importance except, always duck bullets if you can

Wow, it's been a long time since I've come to this thread. The laptop is running Slackware flawlessly, too bad I've been covered up with work, school and home to mess with it much. For a while I was running a lightweight GUI on top (I forget what) and pretty much just stopped using that, since it didn't help it any, only slowed it down.

Maybe now I'll have a chance to work with it a little bit. I wish there were more El Paso people doing Linux.

Nathan

Just Joined!
    andrake Linux 8.1 installation comes on 2 CD''s ,and is working fine

Just Joined!
    Mandrake Linux 8.1
    in stead of andrake ,of course