Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
i would go nvidia if you can. most likely the ati card will have driver problems if you dont use the right distro. some distros handle ATI just fine. it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

i would go nvidia if you can. most likely the ati card will have driver problems if you dont use the right distro. some distros handle ATI just fine. it depends. and if they dont handle ATI you have to install the drivers yourself and get it to work.

edit:
    i never did get my ATI card installed on my desktop but that later turned out to be that the kernel didnt have support for my KT600 chipset. but i recently bought a nvidia and going to retry installing on my desktop over what i have currently installed with a 2.6 kernel in hopes of fixing that problem. my sony has an integrated intel 16 mb video card of some kind that it recognizes without problem. my wifes dell has an ATI Mobility M1 and it was recognized fairly easily. its running Slackware 10.2 and my sony is running 10.1
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

oz
    forum.guy
    I agree with carlosponti... I've never had any problems with nvidia under linux but I've read countless horror stories about ati under linux.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by jamel
    Yes but I've to chose one with nvida graphic card or maybe Intel ,I've heared that's ATI video card cannot detected by linux (it made some problem at least)
    Do you have an idea ?
    Thank you .
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    i would go nvidia if you can. most likely the ati card will have driver problems if you dont use the right distro. some distros handle ATI just fine. it depends. and if they dont handle ATI you have to install the drivers yourself and get it to work.
    pretty much correct guys. but my lappy has an ati radeon mobiliy 200M, and i got it working. not without problems though. gentoo had a few probs with it, and i had to unmask the latest drivers just to get 3d accel. thank God i did not put suse on there first. it dropped the ball on my desktop ati system.

lappys with a nvidia graphics chipset are getting pretty rare these days just in case you wanted to know.
    -weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Toshiba laptops are great I hear.

Myself I have a custom build Asus Z63A*, and it just rocks!
    I'm running Debian Sarge (with some backports) on it and everything works like a charm.

So Asus! Doesn't come with Windows too (the built-on models), so you don't pay for it (prices are really competitive).

Before buying anything, I say check out TuxMobil just to make sure your choice is Linux friendly...

Peace!

*On the site it says "up to 1GB" of RAM, but mine is up to 2G of RAM... I guess it is a mistake on the site.

See how I made it work...
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

where did you buy your asus that it didnt come with windows already. I looked on new egg , case-mod and one other and they all came bundled with windows.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Newbie

AMD (64 bits

Hi

I'm finding a HP laptop with the AMD porcessor Turion ML-32 (1.8 Ghz),512

of RAM, 60 Gb of hard disk for just 1110 $ it seems to be good ,but with

an ATI X200.

What do you think about this processor AMD 64 bits ?

Is it better than the pentium M (1.6 Ghz) ?

It seems to be very hard to find laptop with NVIDA video card here (in

Tunisia),at least I'll try to get a laptop with an intel video card.

Maybe I'll avoid the laptop with the pentium 4,because pentium M run cooler

,they are fast too ,and they keep the battery charge more than pentium 4

Thank you
    \"hackers build, crackers break them \"

ES Raymond

Linux Enthusiast
    jamel, that is indeed a very good processor (amd64), I personally, would buy it, but then again, the ati drivers would be a bit difficult to install f you want 3d acceleration, the amd64 is a better processor though.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    where did you buy your asus that it didnt come with windows already. I looked on new egg , case-mod and one other and they all came bundled with windows.
    Any "Built On Asus Notebooks" DOESN'T come with Windows bundled.

You buy the frame, and then --separatly-- the components of your choice (from wherever you want):
    -cpu
    -RAM
    -hard drive
    -wireless (mini-pci)
    -CD/DVD

And of course you can buy Windows separatly if you want...

Cheapest solution I found.

I bought mine at Microbytes (in Canada), and all the components too.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    jamel, that is indeed a very good processor (amd64), I personally, would buy it, but then again, the ati drivers would be a bit difficult to install f you want 3d acceleration, the amd64 is a better processor though.
    the problem that the video card is ATI X200 (128 shared)
    \"hackers build, crackers break them \"

ES Raymond

Linux Enthusiast
    Are you going to play games on it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast