Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just decided to take a plunge and Install SUSE 10 on this laptop. I am a native Windows user and have attempted linux installs unsucessfully in the past. The Travelmate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer TM4200

Just decided to take a plunge and Install SUSE 10 on this laptop. I am a native Windows user and have attempted linux installs unsucessfully in the past.

The Travelmate 4200 has
    - duo core centrino processor
    - 1g Ram
    - Intel 945/950 Video
    - Intel ABG3495 Wireless card
    - 15.4 Monitor 1200x800 (Not certain, have to look in manual)

Overall this install went very smoothly with only one or two major hiccups.
    First off the Intel video drivers were not included in the distro and at the end of the install when you set up hardware options you are not able to change the video graphics card. Because of this, Suse installed the framebuffer drivers with 800 x 600 support. I could not get this changed and tried to install the linux drivers from intel for this video card. I was stuck with a terrible resolution. I resolved this by reinstalling and from the choose installation screen pressing the options function button and changing the resolution to 1040x740 before going into the installation. This is not a perfect fix but it will do.

All of my other parts were recognized with the exception of the WLan card wich I am still working on using ndiswrapper to install.

Just a heads up. Any advice would be great.

For your native 1280x800 resolution to work, you have to install and properly configure 915resolution.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee