Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, first I guess you need to know I'm kinda a Linux newbie... I've been using my Satellite Pro 4300 to take notes at school, and we're just starting to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptops' HDD screwed itself over

Ok, first I guess you need to know I'm kinda a Linux newbie... I've been using my Satellite Pro 4300 to take notes at school, and we're just starting to use them and I really need the files but my laptop has decided to screw itself over, and from what I can tell I need to reinstall the OS. At the moment it had FC3 installed, with all my precious files, but to even use the internet I have to use my Ubuntu livedisk. My desktop is running Ubuntu 5.10, and I need to know if there's a way to use my desktop to retrieve my files from my laptop without actually having to boot the laptop?

Sorry, I know I rambled on a bit...

you could use a usb caddy & put your laptop hard drive in & connect it to your desktop & retrieve the files that way.(unless your desktop is using windows,then you will need additional softare)or, if you have a home network, you could use your livecd to transfer, via network, to your desktop

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

If you can boot your laptop using a livedisk you can network it with your desktop and copy files over. You need a network card in each, some Cat 5 cable, HDD space on your desktop and some patience

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    If you can boot your laptop using a livedisk you can network it with your desktop and copy files over. You need a network card in each, some Cat 5 cable, HDD space on your desktop and some patience

I've got plenty of all of that. Thanks for the advice.