Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just got an old sony vaio -- p3 850mhz, 256mb ram, 20gb hd I would like to put linux on it [slackware or gentoo] but the computer doesn't have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Howto install linux on vaio? [No cdrom/floppy]

I just got an old sony vaio -- p3 850mhz, 256mb ram, 20gb hd

I would like to put linux on it [slackware or gentoo] but the computer doesn't have either a cd-rom drive or a floppy drive.
    Right now the computer has two partitions:
    C is NTFS with windows XP pro [10gb]
    D is Fat32 [10gb]

Can I do an embeded install from C to D? Or does anyone have any other ideas? I would love linux on this little machine but have no idea how to get it there. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Do you have a USB drive? If so you may be able to put a distro on a USB thumb drive and then install it from there, I know you can put a number of live distro's on USB thumb drives (such as DSL) and I should think you should be able to install a few of them.

hope this helps out;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    no floppy or cdrom on a lappy that age?

A little odd, anyways, with some distros you can do network installs which helps a lot, cos they only need to have a floppy, and some dont even need that, they can use a pendrive iirc.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i am gonna make a stretch and tell you that you can use a USB CD Rom. i have one that is probably a year or less older with slackware on it but mine had CD-Rom and floppy drives. i do have USB so i can only hope you do for use with a usb cd-rom . or you can do the network install. i am not sure if you can load onto a hard disk anymore without a cdrom. my question is how did you install windows in the first place?
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

It does have a USB 1.1 port - think I could maybe format the gentoo live cd to that? This computer came with an external CD drive that is no longer working, and that I don't believe sony manufactures anymore. The reason this laptop has no cd/floppy drives is because it's super small and ultra portible - it's smaller than an actual school notebook.

I do have an old external dvd drive but I don't have the DC5V power cord doh!

The boot options in the BIOS are as shown:
    CD-ROM Drive
    Removable Devices
    +Hard Drive
    Network Boot

*Of cource the CD-ROM Drive isn't an option.

--
    So does anyone think I can embed linux thru windows on C, format to D, then delete C and resize D? Possible?

I'm thinking DSL would be an easy option, if you burn a DSL CD, and boot it up on another computer, there is an option in one of the menus to put it on a usb data stick. You can then boot from it (I think you can, and that's what 'Removable Devices' is) and either install something like Gentoo using DSL as the 'live cd' or install DSL on the machine.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

i think you can possibly find the cd-rom here

i had to buy a part for my wifes old Dell notebook(CPU heatsink/fan unit) you might try that so you can have a cd-rom.

they also have copies of linux that fit on a USB flash drive that you can use to format and install on your hard drive.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    I'm thinking DSL would be an easy option, if you burn a DSL CD, and boot it up on another computer, there is an option in one of the menus to put it on a usb data stick. You can then boot from it (I think you can, and that's what 'Removable Devices' is) and either install something like Gentoo using DSL as the 'live cd' or install DSL on the machine.

dylunio
    Yea I'm pretty sure that's what removable devices is. So you think it's possible to boot dsl as a livecd then use it to install gentoo? How would I possibly do that?

I may be getting a floppy drive from a friend of mine - so that's slightly exciting. I dono how I'll install from just a floppy tho lol. We'll see if I can even get it.

So you think it's possible to boot dsl as a livecd then use it to install gentoo? How would I possibly do that?
    Gentoo is installed via a LiveCD - DSL will be that 'live cd', as long as you have an internet connection and the gentoo handbook you should be able to install Gentoo.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Gentoo is installed via a LiveCD - DSL will be that 'live cd', as long as you have an internet connection and the gentoo handbook you should be able to install Gentoo.

dylunio
    Alright sounds easy enough - I may end up doing that. I was, however, able to get my hands on a USB floppy drive. Would it be easier to install using that / if so how? Or am I better off trying the livecd method?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast