Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. This is my first post. I need some help. I want to install linux, more specifically Mandriva 2006, on a ASUS A7Jb laptop. If you wish, you can look ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Problem starting X on a ASUS A7Jb

Hello.

This is my first post. I need some help.
    I want to install linux, more specifically Mandriva 2006, on a ASUS A7Jb laptop. If you wish, you can look at the the laptop specifications right here.
    I tried to install mepis also, but I find it too limited for my needs. But anyway, the problem is similar in both. This is what happens:

I install (mandriva and mepis) with no problems. In mandriva, when the system starts and tries to execute X, it says it can't find a display/monitor, or something like that. On mepis, X starts. But as soon as I go to the display configuration, it says something like "lcd off", and the next time I start linux, it gives me the same error as mandriva.

Well, I know it is possible to start X on my laptop, because mepis does it (as long as I don't go to the display properties), and all the visuals in the installation are good.

Is there a line in xorg.conf where I can manually force X to detect the LCD from my laptop?
    Is there another solution?

Please help me. I really need Linux on my laptop.
    I need to start working on a very important PHP project, and I don't want to install apache, php and mysql on windows. I want to program in the languages' native environment. Plus, I want to really start using linux as my main OS.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Becaus Mepis Live CD work for you I would suspect it to me a problem with your video card driver more then your display. If I am rigth this would be a test to check.

Mepis live CD boot for you so boot it up. Mount your laptop hard drive in the /mnt directory. Mepis should already have it setup and it may be an icon on the desktop.

In the /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 or /etc/X11/xorg.conf file look for a line in the Device section that says what driver it is using. I suspect that on the live CD it is using the vesa driver but on your install it is trying to use some other driver. If your install is using a different driver comment out the line by adding a # to the front of the line and add a Driver line that uses the vesa driver. If that still does not work you could try the vga driver but the display will suck.

In Mepis live CD the icon for the hard drive may try to mount the drive read only. You can open a command line and remount it read-write like so
    mount -o remount,rw /mnt/hda5

Replace hda5 with the real partition.

Or check X log file for details as why X won't start.

I'm 99% sure it's related your ATI x1600 card.

Or post
    Code:
    tail -n 20 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    here so we all can know more about this.

Plus, what's the content of your Mandrivia's /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

It's probable that this very new card (ATI x1600) will only work with ATI proprietary video drivers (of which only the newest ATI drivers 8.24.8 will work with the x1600). Have you tried them yet?

Mepis probably work because it uses a very conservative xorg.conf file.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I solved the problem.
    This is how I did it:

First of all, I allways used the vesa driver because of compatibility issues with the X1600 mobility card. I'm using mandriva 2006 with the vesa driver right now, with no problems at all.
    Because I couldn't find any information specifically related to my video card, I started to look for information about the xorg.conf file.
    First of all, I removed all the lines related to the vertical and horizontal refresh rates. I let X find them on it's own. Second, The graphics card doesn't like virtual desktops at all, so I removed these too.
    And voilá, it works!!!
    I'm using linux mostly for web programming so, 3D hardware, at least for now, is expendable.
    Right now, I can only use 16bit and 1152 resolution.
    But I will try to install the most recent Linux drivers and see if it works.

My advice is: If anyone who is reading this has problems entering X, erase the refresh rate lines and virtual desktop line from the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Just Joined!
    One more thing. Don't try to change the resolution from inside X. It will not work. You will have to edit the xorg.conf file manually again.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Horn
    I solved the problem.
    This is how I did it:

First of all, I allways used the vesa driver because of compatibility issues with the X1600 mobility card. I'm using mandriva 2006 with the vesa driver right now, with no problems at all.
    Of course it will work with the "vesa" driver, but what's the use of having one of the latest and greatest ATI mobility graphic card if you use it with the legacy "vesa" driver?

I mean, it's a solution, but a temporary one.

The best thing to do would be to install the ATI drivers from their site, for which I don't know the exact procedure for Mandrivia.

But, anyway, it's a step forward!

Good luck!
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    antidrugue, do you have a procedure for Debian systems? I have a KnoppMyth box that has a similar problem http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/per...y-problem.html
    and have a hard time replacing programs without breaking dependancies. KnoppMyth is missing a lot of the source files for many of the packages, or at least I can't find them anywhere.

Do you know if the ATI drivers from ATI would fix my problem in the above link?
    Would I have to recompile X to use them?

Just Joined!
    I installed the ATI drivers and now I have 1440*900 resolution.
    The problem is solved, for good.
    The driver installation is very simple.
    The instructions are on the ATI site.
    You just put the driver in the HD, run the shell script and execute the aticonfig configuration utillity.
    That's it.

how does mandriva handle it ?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNyc
    how does mandriva handle it ?
    Very well actually.
    I know that what I'm about to say is off topic, but after being somewhat sucessfull using linux (more specifically, mandriva 2006), I'm think of giving it up for Windows. :drown:
    I'm very disapoited with the almost inexistence of a web design/php programming application for linux.
    I mean, I used quanta, nvu and another one I don't remeber the name. But the problem is php integration. For php, I installed zend studio and it looks great for php, but it's missing the web design element.
    I'm very used to dreamweaver and I thought that, php being an open source language and being widelly used in linux, the support for it was a little better.
    Now, I'm seing myself (again), installing apache, php and mysql in windows. It did wonders for me in the past.
    I really don't want to use a program to web editting and another for php programming. Jumping arround from one to another is simply a waste of time.

What do you guys have to say about this? Any advice? Can I still make this work on linux?