Find the answer to your Linux question:
My laptop seems to be running super hot. After less than an hour of usage the base becomes extremely hot to the touch. During boot I see some sort of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Running hot

My laptop seems to be running super hot. After less than an hour of usage the base becomes extremely hot to the touch. During boot I see some sort of an error saying "acpi halted due to..." but it goes too quick to read. Is there anyway I can review my startup info? I'm not sure if acpi has anything to do with it - but I just want to ensure I don't fry my laptop
    I'm running Arch Linux 0.7.2 on a sony vaio pcg-srx PIII-M 850mhz
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

My laptop has removable fans in the base, if yours has similar you could try taking them off and cleaning them - and, of course, making sure they're working properly. You could also gently clean out any vents on the sides or back of the laptop so air can move more freely through the case?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by ImNeat
    Is there anyway I can review my startup info?
    I am not familiar with Arch Linux, but you should have a boot log. Check '/var/log'...

Just Joined!
    uhm issue the 'dmesg' command to see your startup messages

or, 'tail -100 /var/log/messages' and look through that.

Just checked out dmesg, everything looked to be alright. I guess this computer just runs hot.

Just Joined!
    My HP ze4900 runs about 140-150 *F at full throttle. Thats a celeron 1.3. That will give you an idea. I want to upgrade to a p4 to get voltage scaling along with freq scaling that may allow it to operate cooler.

My compaq laptop runs btw 550-60 dg C all the time, even if it's in freezing surroundings.

I think I need to get some extra fans for it.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Just Joined!
    I converted mine to *C right and its running 63 *C which is 145* F Which is right about where mine runs all the time. I thought this originally was hot because my buddy on his gateway 1.6 p4 was getting below 120 (with scaling) but that is just how it runs.

When I had windows on this machine originally (when I bought it) I think it did run cooler.

I've pretty much gotten used to the heat. It hasn't overheated or fried yet - so I guess that's a good sign lol. I generally don't keep it turned on for very long anyway. Maybe a few hours a day spread out. I just give it a nice
    shutdown -h now
    whenever I'm done playing. I suppose the heat is to be expected - the laptop is extremely tiny and has a thin medal chassis. It's no wonder I can feel every bit of heat. I'd still like to get the case off and clean around the fans when I get a chance. Just need to find that little screwdriver...