Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I am receiving the LIL- message upon system startup. I know the definition of what this error message means, but don't know how to fix it. The last modificiation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Receiving LIL- message upon system startup

Hello!

I am receiving the LIL- message upon system startup. I know the definition of what this error message means, but don't know how to fix it.

The last modificiation I made before I rebooted my system and got this error was in the /etc/fstab file. Whether, or not, this change could have done such a great deal of harm is mystery to me.

Do any of you have any idea of how I can fix it. I am already starting to think that I just should reinstall Red Hat 9 and be done with it.

Thanks,
    Vladimir

Linux User
    As I guess you already know, something got buggered with your LILO install.
    Did you make a boot floppy? Can you get in and see what's in your /etc/lilo.conf file? If so, post the contents and we can help fix your error without having to do a fresh install.
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately, I didn't make the boot disk because I don't have a floppy drive, and I already installed Linux all over again.

How do I make a boot disk on a CD?

Thanks,
    Vladimir

If you have redhat 9, check out the rescue mode on the cd.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    I am currently in rescue mode using the RH9 disk, but when I change the lilo.conf file, which is under /mnt/sysimage/etc/lilo, and then run the command lilo, I get an error saying that the /etc/lilo.conf doesn't exist.

the reason that it doesn't exist is becuase the red hat installation was mounted at /mnt/sysimage.

how can I specify which lilo.conf file to load?

Thanks,
    Vladimir

Man is very handy the command is
    Code:
    lilo -C /lilo.conf

Just Joined!
    Thanks Giro!

After I posted the message I went and did 'man lilo' and I found that information too. Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    im not sure exactly how the RH rescue works, but I would do chroot /mnt/sysimage

then u will be looking at ur hard drive and everythign will be where it should be.

if u edited /etc/fstab check that everything in there looks fine, maybe u changed the partition that was mounted at /