Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Suse 10.1 on a Compaq Presario laptop. Suspend to disk doesn't work even though I have all the problematic modules removed, swap space set up properly, etc. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hibernate doesn't work on Suse 10.1

I'm using Suse 10.1 on a Compaq Presario laptop. Suspend to disk doesn't work even though I have all the problematic modules removed, swap space set up properly, etc.
    The system seems to have written the image file but then it freezes with the following:

Stopping tasks:===================================
    Shrinking memory... done (0 pages freed)
    swusp: Need to copy 69604 pages
    swusp: critical section/: done (69604 pages copied)

Also when I shut down the computer, the system also doesn't power off properly , I have to manually press the power button. Could this have something to do with the hibernate problem?

Have you dug through that yast control center? In the power management section (or something of the like) there should be a section about hibernation.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNeat
    Have you dug through that yast control center? In the power management section (or something of the like) there should be a section about hibernation.
    There is and it's enabled but there isn't much else to dig through really (at least not for me linux newbie)...

How much swap space have you got? I thought the hibernation feature did a suspend and wrote the memory into the swap space - i.e. you need as much swap space as you have physical RAM or the hibernate feature wont work.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    How much swap space have you got? I thought the hibernation feature did a suspend and wrote the memory into the swap space - i.e. you need as much swap space as you have physical RAM or the hibernate feature wont work.
    I have around 700M RAM and I just extended my swap from 1G to 1.4G hoping it will make a difference. It didn't
    Also the computer doesn't power off upon shutdown. Could that have something to do with the problem?