Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so yes, I'm a total newb when it comes to linux... I've used linux for quite some time via ssh with the simplest of comands. I've decided to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Dell Inspiron 9300 Wireless

Ok, so yes, I'm a total newb when it comes to linux...

I've used linux for quite some time via ssh with the simplest of comands. I've decided to install linux as it will help with development. I've got everything working exept two things, sound and wireless.

Sound, I can live without. No biggie... Wireless, I cannot.

So I've read I need to download firmware or something, blah, blah, blah... I have no idea how to do any of this. Would someone be so kind to give me step by step instructions on how to get my wireless working on my system?

Linux User
    What wireless card are you using?

You'll need to see if there is a Linux driver for it; if there is then download and install that and you should be all set. If there isn't then you'll probably need to use NDIS Wrapper to get it working.
    More info would help though... what wireless card and what distro?

For sound, open a terminal and try runiing either sndconfig or alsaconf and follow the prompts which should get your sound working.

i think most of the dells use a broadcom card. there are lots of tutorials to get broadcom cards up and going using ndiswrapper
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    http://biojanus.anu.edu.au/~paulway/...iron_9300.html

I've tried following instructions from that website but not sure exactly how to do some of those things...

I swapped hard drives again so right now I'm on windows so I can be wireless. Anyone want to give me a link to a walk through on how to do this?

My wireless card is an Intel 2200 802.11 b/g wireless card.