Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a emachine mx4624 Sempron 3300+. My wireless driver is a Broadcom bcmwl5, and the sound card is an integrated conexant ac-link 97 audio. I installed Mandriva One 2006, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My laptop must be the problem!

I have a emachine mx4624 Sempron 3300+. My wireless driver is a Broadcom bcmwl5, and the sound card is an integrated conexant ac-link 97 audio. I installed Mandriva One 2006, but eventually gave up trying to get the wireless connected using ndiswrapper --- got all the right messages, but still could not activate the driver. Even if I did it did not locate the sound card. Kept identifying it as an Ati sound card. Linspire 5.0 live connected flawlessly to the internet, but again could not find the sound. Suse 10.1 would not even install properly. MEPIS 6.0 RC2, could not connect, and also could not find the sound.
    What the h is wrong here?? I want to use it but more and more I am beginning to think that maybe staying with Windows and using all the open source software (open office, thunderbird, firefox) is the way to go. Certainly my laptop works --- which is all I ask for.

on the sound card some wont out of the box just know your sound card so you have to run alsa config to locate your card and get it to set up as your default card and sound settings. i would stick with a distro that got you on the internet then run alsaconfig as root at the command prompt. it will step you through it.

i would recommend the mepis 6.0. on the network wireless card i would suggest you find out the chipset for the card. once you do that you can have an easier time finding what direction you need to go in. for some chipsets the ndiswrapper isnt needed. like i have the prism II chipset in my wireless card and i can use the wireless drivers drivers for linux. i have two laptops on linux at home and they seem to do just fine. its tricky getting some of this stuff to work most certainly but keep working at it. depending on how much hard drive space you have you can dual boot your computer until you get a handle on installing linux on a notebook.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Hi. I have a desktop EMachine, and almost all distros have worked with all my hardware. Personally I run Ubuntu 6.06, which detected my soundcard on that, which is an AC97 audio device. I can't comment about the wireless, but I know that wireless and linux are not easily joined, as the other dude said, find a distro that will work with the wireless then go for the sound, but Ubuntu might be the way to go...