Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Gateway 6020GZ Laptop, and I just installed Fedora Core 5. It doesn't seem to support my laptop model, even though it is new. I've done some research ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Totally new to Linux... I have a Gateway 6020GZ Laptop. Is it compatible with Fedora?

I have a Gateway 6020GZ Laptop, and I just installed Fedora Core 5. It doesn't seem to support my laptop model, even though it is new. I've done some research and it seems like the only way I can setup the Internet is through NDIS Wrapper? However, I have no idea what it is, how to use it or anything? Can anyone please guide me through? If I want to use the integrated drivers, that are only available in Windows format, does that mean I can convert it or something using NDIS Wrapper? Is NDIS a program? Do I have to download it? Will it allow me to use the integrated video driver too?

Also, I was wondering how I could change the GRUB setting? I wanted to change the timer, and automatically set it to Windows XP instead of Fedora. Also, Windows XP doesn't appear as "Windows XP" in the options, and instead as "Other". Is there any way I can change this? Thanks much everyone!

on the NDISwrapper thing you have to install it to get certain wireless cards to work basically its a program that allows you to install the windows driver for the card. if you go the tutorials secition of this site you will find a tutorial on how to install it. you can probably get it from the rpm rerpository i am dont remember what its called its yast in suse. in fedora its called something else. someone else might have to tell you what it is.

i think but i am not sure there should be a grub.conf, i use lilo sos my liloconf was in /sbin, file or something similiar and the file will contain listings for both operating systems there will also a alias of somekind for the each entry which on your system shows other on the entry screen. change that to Windows also there should be another entry for the amount of time alotted i believe in seconds which you can change to what ever time you wish. also there should be something that lists which comes up first in the list after you make those changes run grub as root then reboot and the changes should appear. this is how it is on my system i use slackware and lilo but aside from how the conf file is structured it should be about the same.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a HowTo for ndiswrapper that might help to guide you:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ork-linux.html
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Here's a HowTo for ndiswrapper that might help to guide you:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ork-linux.html
    ozar show him the dual boot tutorial i believe there is a blurb about grub in there.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

oz
    forum.guy
    Regarding GRUB, the two entries you are looking for are:

Code:
    timeout   15
    default   0
    Change the timeout number to however many seconds you want the timer to run before the system boots.

Change the default number to whichever OS you want to boot first, such as the (0) and the (1) below. If you leave the default 0, then Linux will boot by default. Changing it to 1 will boot WinXP by default:

Code:
    # (0) Linux
    title  Linux
    root   (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=794
    initrd /boot/kernel26.img

# (1) WinXP Pro
    title WinXP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    Change the title line to whatever you want the menu entry to read, such as WinXP, Windows XP Pro, etc.

Hope this helps.

ozar
    oz

Just Joined!

you might try a small distro-alinux

I don't want to discourage you from the fedora distro,but alinux works out of the box on the laptops I've installed it on.
    the wireless connections work without all the hassles of searching for drivers.
    It will let you get your feet wet,giving you time to learn to install different packages and addons without the usual discouragement from not actually being able to use your linux box.
    :drown: