Find the answer to your Linux question:
My laptop doesn't power down properly, i have to manually press the power button but then upon restart the filesystem is often not clean. However when I suspend-resume, the system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

laptop power down

My laptop doesn't power down properly, i have to manually press the power button but then upon restart the filesystem is often not clean.
    However when I suspend-resume, the system powers down properly and resumes cleanly. Are there different ways to power down? How can I set the system so that upon shutdown it powers down the same way as with suspend?

Linux User
    Which distro are you using? And how are you currently shutting down?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkrose0510
    Which distro are you using? And how are you currently shutting down?
    I'm using Suse 10.1 and usually (try to) shut down from GUI or from the console (halt) with the same results. Back when suspend-resume didn't work properly, the system managed to power down upon the first shutdown after the failed resume ( I hope it makes sense).

Just Joined!

poweroff

How about running poweroff from the command line?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ehawk
    How about running poweroff from the command line?
    I tried all i could think of from command line, didn't work.. But in the meantime I switched to ubuntu which doesn't have this problem and also recognizes all my hardware and is just great! so I'm sticking with it now don't care about the issue anymore.
    Thanks for trying to help guys!