Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a Toshiba Satellite 2545xcdt wich has the following specs: AMD K6 333 MHz processor, 192 MB memory (max for this machine), 30 Gb HD, CD & floppy drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another Old Laptop

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2545xcdt wich has the following specs: AMD K6 333 MHz processor, 192 MB memory (max for this machine), 30 Gb HD, CD & floppy drive and IR port.

This system was from back in the Win98 era. I would like recommendations for a distro that would replicate the functionality of Win98se.

TIA,

Hal

I should add that I have tried to install DSL & Puppy without luck. Further, would like something a bit more full featured. Right now have Mepis 3.4-3 installed but its slow.

Linux Enthusiast
    You could always reconfigure the kernel, and install a new WM

you probably need a distro with a light WM like XFCE or something similar. as far as distro selections that will vary as much as ice cream opinions. i have slackware on several machines that are slower machines. though slackware is difficult for new users. Slax is another live distro that you could try they have a special edition that has a lightweight window manager.

Slax Download

the one called popcorn addition should be fast enough for you to try. get on distrowatch and look for a lightweight distro. compiling the kernel is another option to speed up the distro but its daunting for new users.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Tried Slax. It wouldn't come up unless I used the nopcmcia cheat code. Problem is I need that for network access.

Anyone know how to get the thing started with pcmcia support?

oz
    forum.guy
    You might take look at Zenwalk - it's based on Slackware and comes with the Xfce4 desktop environment.
    oz

I second the zenwalk proposition.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Same situation as with Slax. System will not boot with pcmcia enabled.

Anyone know how to get by this issue?

Linux User
    I've put Slackware 10.2 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT (pentium 120Mhz, 32MB RAM, 2.2GB HD), which runs well with fluxbox as the WM.

i dont this his solution should be to throw another distro at it. i would say load a distro without pcmcia then try to load it when you are up and running and see what messages you get. post those messages here and we may be able to fix the problem at hand. start i guess with slackware load it and at first you will be only in command line mode.

maybe this might give you some insight into whats happening
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO-3.html
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    If you're still hunting a distro, peanut linux always worked fine out of the box. I've got old versions, if the distro site or ibiblio have lost them.

Sue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast