Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop, removed the Windows XP OS and installed Fedora Core 4. My laptop has a wireless internet card, but I am unable to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help with wireless internet on Fedora Core 4

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop, removed the Windows XP OS and installed Fedora Core 4. My laptop has a wireless internet card, but I am unable to use it at this time. It is not being recognized or something. I'm fairly new to Linux, so I am working on limited knowledge in that department. I have tried several things but to no avail the wireless internet is not working. I NEED HELP! Can anyone help me?

Just Joined!
    The first thing is to get the drivers for your wireless card. Check out madwifi.org - they have a compatibility page for various wirless cards. I used 'yum' to download the rpms:
    yum install madwifi
    This should also install any dependencies, and your card should at least bbe recognised at boot up.

Just Joined!

hardware, network manager

I'm not using Fedora anymore, but as I recall, you go into either a graphical hardware or network manger from the main menu to add your wireless card and set up a wireless connection. At some point it asks you for a driver, and often offers one which it thinks is compatible. Google is your friend...do intelligent searches. There are also Fedora-specific forums which might be able to offer more help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close