Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let me start by saying i am new to linux. Heres the problem i was given an old laptop. heres the spec gateway solo 1150 192 mb ram (thats all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

what linux to use on my laptop

Let me start by saying i am new to linux. Heres the problem i was given an old laptop.
    heres the spec
    gateway solo 1150
    192 mb ram (thats all that will fit
    13 gig hard drive
    intel celeron 696 mhz? i think 700 mhz
    cd-rom
    floppy

I want to install linux on it because windows xp home runs really slow. but i have heard its hard to install linux on a laptop.

Oh and the last thing i use a linksys 802.11g notebook adaptor card model wpc54g ver.2 to connect to internet.

Just Joined!
    Same here I had a laptop but windows took 5 minutes to boot!, if you want a lightweight distro I would recomend ubuntu or kubuntu. Though i have suse 10.1 installed on mine but the laptop I have is only 2 years old. Both installs for kubuntu and suse are easy to do . As for the wireless there are no guarentees it will work. You will need to install the ndiswrapper.

This thread may be useful http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ugh-linux.html

LFT
    Just Joined!

Xubuntu

Maybe try Xubuntu. Xubuntu is a lighter version of Ubuntu.

You can test Xubuntu or Ubuntu on your computer by running a live CD before you install anything.

Just Joined!
    If you have an older laptop, give consideration to installing and older (as opposed to newer) version of Linux.

Experience suggests that since you are new to Linux, you may well find Mandrake v7.0 or v9.0 or another older varient of Linux more than sufficient for your stated needs BUT keep in mind, if you are currently used to a "fast" machine, expect slower performance in the old laptop - the older CPUs just don't run as fast as the newer ones but in most instances they are very reliable and they will get the job(s) done.

Hope this helps

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...e-posting.html

Pay particular attention to the "What about old computers?" section. I have an old Gateway Solo that I run Damn Small Linux on just fine. (Its specs are actually worse than yours, 450mHz with 64MB of RAM.)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants