Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got a Toshiba Satellite 1955-S805 Laptop.I setup Red Hat Linux 9.0 I got 2 problems on it.The first one, i cannot use screen resolution on 800x600 and above it,on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just a problem

I got a Toshiba Satellite 1955-S805 Laptop.I setup Red Hat Linux 9.0 I got 2 problems on it.The first one, i cannot use screen resolution on 800x600 and above it,on the other hand linux couldn't recognize my modem.

Graphic Card:GeForce4 440
    Modem:Toshiba Software Modem

Any suggestions...

Resolution poss because of Nvidia drivers not installed, goto http://www.nvidia.com Download the drivers (IA32 i think it is.
    logout of X and goto run level 3
    sh <filename>
    sax2 -m 0=nvidia
    go back to runlevel 5, should b able to do more than 800x600.
    Not sure about ur other prob tho, soz!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    The modem sounds like it's a so-called "software modem" or "winmodem", which means that a driver (or module in linux language) is needed for that specific hardware. Winmodems are inexpensive "modems" that actually use up CPU cycles to run them, as they have no controller chip of their own.

I don't know about this specific laptop make/model but it might be worthwhile doing a google web and newsgroup search to see what other people's experiences have been. Some winmodems have had modules written for them by the open-source community (with usually a refusal of help from the vendors) so you might try looking for that too:

e.g. http://www.linmodems.org/

Rick D.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close