Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Linux A LOT of times (at least 15)without problems in my desktop machine , my brother saw it and liked SuSE and wanted me to install SuSE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux on Thinkpad R31

I have installed Linux A LOT of times (at least 15)without problems in my desktop machine , my brother saw it and liked SuSE and wanted me to install SuSE in his laptop, it boots just fine but when I it begins to copy the files to the harddrive it suddenly stops saying that is impossible to install that package.

Before installing I booted with the live-cd of gparted and shrinked his NTFS partition and created an ext3 partition with the same program.

Thanks in advance
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    What version of suse are you trying to install? (I don't really know much about SuSe, but I've been trying to do a little homework on the R31 as I'm getting one in a few days)

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    ...it boots just fine but when I it begins to copy the files to the harddrive it suddenly stops saying that is impossible to install that package.
    did you perform the media check on the disc? did it pass? Also try not to install that package (do this through manual package selection).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I am using suse 10.0 and I installed in my desktop machine with the same discs two hours ago without problems! And I can't avoid that package, A LOT of packages can't be installed by this, I can click skip but some are just crucial (like xorg or qt)
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Just Joined!
    have you tried an older version of SuSe? I just did Fedora with no trouble so that may be an option if you aren't set on the Suse flavor.

Also tried Ubuntu dapper on it but the live cd won't boot, it stops at Uncompressing Linux .... Ok, booting the kernel

I will also try Damn Small Linux on it or Puppy to see what happens
    Linux User #425940