Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone know where I can find some drivers for the ATI Rage Mobility card that allow me to enable 3D accelleration (it is blocked out and cannot be turned on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ATI Rage Mobility M1 3D Drivers, OpenGL & Settings

Anyone know where I can find some drivers for the ATI Rage Mobility card that allow me to enable 3D accelleration (it is blocked out and cannot be turned on at the moment). Also, is there a better version of OpenGL then the default? Is there some way I can change my OpenGL settings so that OpenGL stuff runs at a lower resolution than the desktop resolution (as OpenGL stuff is running very slow)? I am running Red Hat 9. Thanks.

Also, anyone know how to check if my hard drive is in DMA mode or PIO mode? Although I don't know if a Dell Latitude has DMA.

As far as the hard drive, do this:

Code:
    hdparm -d /dev/hd*
    This will tell you if dma is on. Use the argument -d1 to turn it on if it is in fact off.

As far as your video card, ATI's drivers will allow you to use 3D acceleration. You must add the option Load "dri" to Section "Module" in your /etc/X11/XF86Config. This should enable 3D accel. (as long as you're using ATI's driver).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Where can I get ATI's Linux drivers for the Rage Mobility? Whenever I try to search for mobile video drivers on ati.com it tells me to contact the manufacturer of the notebook. I checked Dell and couldn't find any Linux display drivers for my card.....

/me looks at ati's site.

I would try some of the Radeon drivers...I'm not sure if they'll work, but they *might*
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Load dri is already there but in the display settings where I can choose the video driver I still cannot select "Enable 3D acceleration" I was reading up and found that the package XF_Mach64 (or something like that) should be used for my video card and I installed that but selecting Mach64 drivers still did not allow me to enable 3d acceleration.... is it already on and I dont know it?

Just Joined!
    You may have a bit of trouble with the Mach64 chipset / driver. I have an ATI Rage Pro that uses the ATI Mach64 Utah driver, and the only existing hardware acceleration driver available is very very slow. As in, about a third as fast as software acceleration.

Just Joined!

Use the GATOS drivers

To use the M1 mobility (which uses the mach64 chipset as noted), use the ati.2 driver from the gatos project: http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ati.2.php

It is a much faster driver than any other. It allows me to play videos on my dell p3-500 laptop in full screen.