Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

HP laptop and Linux

I was looking into getting this laptop, but then I have read this opinion written by someone on that HP harware makes it pain in the ass to run linux. He mentioned wireless networking and 3D stuff... can't find the exact quote now

link to the laptop i want to get for running linux

will it run well? should i get it?

I have used a lot of Compaq Wifi cards, running on one now. All the ones I have used were Atheros based, so no problems there (though chipsets change). ATI drivers are a lot better than they used to be. In fact they are pretty useable. I would always recommend nVidia, but if that's not an option and you have your heart set on it nowadays I wouldn't let an ATI card put you off. All the rest should be pretty standard. Although I haven't got any links to back it up I ran SUSE and a friend of mine ran Ubuntu on nc6xxx notebooks, acpi seemed to work fine.

I have always been a loyal Windows user, but got fed up with my machine slowing down and decided to give SUSE 10.1 a try after receiving it on a DVD in the PC Format magazine.

I installed it on my HP nc6120. What a pleasure, the installation process was as smooth as installing Windows XP and a lot faster. My graphics card, built-in wireless card, bluetooth, ethernet and infrared was detected and installed correctly. I took it to the office and it detected the DHCP settings perfectly and I could carry on working without a hassle.

I never thought that Linux could compete with Windows on the desktop as far as usability is concerned, but have changed my mind. I do think this is a serious compititor for Microsoft.

I do however still need to get the access to my multicard reader sorted out. I am a noobie, so it maybe something stupid that I neglected to do.

4. $spacer_open