Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am having problems with the Battery Charge Monitor 2.2.0 on RedHat 9. The battery icon shows the battery as being un-charged even when it is fully charged. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Battery Charge Monitor on RH9

Hi All,

I am having problems with the Battery Charge Monitor 2.2.0 on RedHat 9.

The battery icon shows the battery as being un-charged even when it is fully charged. It also always displays it's self as running on AC power the whole time and not on battery power.

Any suggestions?

Linux Guru
    If you run the `apm' command from a shell, does it return valid information or the same as the BC monitor?

Also have you got ACPI support in the kernel? If your laptop is newish I would use ACPI over APM which isnt very good. Your battery monitor should work then also.

Just Joined!
    Tha apm command returns the following regardless of if it is being powered by mains or battery.

Code:
    AC on-line, no system battery
    Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    That's odd, like the BIOS isn't properly reporting the APM status. It might be worthwhile checking out the manufacturer's "service/support" webpage and downloading and installing any BIOS upgrade.

Just Joined!

BIOS

What BIOS do you have?

Just Joined!

Similar issue...

I'm having a similar problem on my Dell Latitude. Basically, RH9 is not seeing my system battery at all. If I run apm, it simply returns 'AC on-line.' It says nothing about the battery; if I pull and re-seat the battery, nothing either.

The laptop dual boots RH9 and Windows XP and the battery is fine when I'm running Windows.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Also have you got ACPI support in the kernel? If your laptop is newish I would use ACPI over APM which isnt very good. Your battery monitor should work then also.
    I had to do this to get mine to work in slackware. Probably would work in Red/fed too
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds