Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok guys, please help me. I may be Windows Pro. But I know sod-all about Linux (so please no assumptions that I understand what the hell you're talking about!) I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptop Monitor Problem - Tried All The Usual Fixes... PLEASE HELP!!!

Ok guys, please help me. I may be Windows Pro. But I know sod-all about Linux (so please no assumptions that I understand what the hell you're talking about!) I have a common problem I'm sure; my Gateway 8550GB Laptop monitor won't work after x-server (i think) has loaded. I'm having to use an external. I looked on some forums and there was some resolutions to edit in something like: /opt/ati/bin/fglrxconfig, which I did, I'm sure correctly, and now it won't boot on either monitor. Not to worry, will install again, but my original problem is still there, and carrying a 17" TFT around with my already stupid sized laptop is no fun. Please help me someone, I'm trying to embrace the open community and defect from 6 years of working on Windows, but something keeps going wrong whenever I try!!!

Specs:
    fedora core 5

GATEWAY 8550GB LAPTOP
    17.1" WIDESCREEN SXGA (GATEWAY HAVE NO MORE INFO ON THIS AT ALL!)
    1024MB DDR2 4200
    1.73GB CENTRINO
    ATI X700 128MB PCI-E GRAPHICS
    USUAL OTHER RUBBISH

What version of Linux are you trying to use? Look for a file called xorg.conf in your "/etc/X11" directory. Inside there should be a section toward the bottom that looks similar to (but not exactly like) this:

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier  "ATI Radeon"
        Driver      "radeon"
        BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection
    Pay specific attention to the "Driver" section. What does this say? It could say "radeon", "fglrx" or "vesa". If it doesn't say "vesa", change it to say that. You will need to be logged in as root (Administrator) user to edit it however. To log in as root and edit the file all from a terminal window, do this:

Code:
    su <enter>
    Password: <type your root password, then enter>
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    This will open up that file in an editor. The basic commands are simple. Up and down arrows scroll, left and right move the cursor, and what you see is what you get as far as typing and deleting things. When you're done, hit CTRL+X to exit, and type Y when it asks if you'd like to save. Now try rebooting into graphical mode and see if your laptop's monitor works.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

So Fedora Core 5 ?

How did you install the ATI drivers in the first place ?
    Did you do it like that ?
    http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...es.html#nVidia
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Update...

Thank you so much for your help so far guys, it's just nice to see someone replied (especially to an old Windows div like me!) Just to confirm, it's Fedora Core 5. and on install (can't remember exactly when) as millions of things fly past, it does say that the graphics card is regognised as ATI x700 PCI-E but monitor is unknown.

Awaiting your instructions....

Thanks Again, I really appreciate this.

(BTW: I SEE YOU ALL HAVE LOVELY, THOUGHTFUL PHRASES IN YOUR PROFILES, SO HERE'S ONE FOR YOU...)

"ITS BETTER TO HAVE LOVED AND LOST, THAN LISTEN TO AN ALBUM BY OLIVIER NEWTON-JOHN" - Red Dwarf.