Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all, i am trying to install Linux XP on a laptop, Compaq Presario 1200 and it gets thru the boot process and says loading: loading anaconda probing for monitor ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question linux install on laptop black screen

hello all,
    i am trying to install Linux XP on a laptop, Compaq Presario 1200 and it gets thru the boot process and says loading:

loading anaconda
    probing for monitor
    probing for mouse

loading x server
    then screen goes black

new at this please help...
    thanks

I'm not familiar with Linux XP, but there should be an option to install non-graphically. What it looks like is Linux XP is having trouble with the video hardware on your laptop. Is it an ATI card?

Also, why Linux XP? It's a commercial distribution if I'm not mistaken. You might try a free distribution like Fedora, openSuSE, or Mandriva instead. They're at least more well-known on the forum and you're more likely to get good help.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Smile thanks for the info

i am kinda new to the Linux scene.. i just read about the XP and thought i would try it. I will try the Fedora. thanks..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Unhappy more help please

i took your advice and installed another linux os.. fedora 5. now when it boots i get the:

"localhost login"
    "password"

and i use ROOT and my password and get to:

[root@localhost ~]#

i type "startx" and it starts to load and screen goes black. what am i doing wrong?

First of all you don't want to log in for everday activities (such as a graphical section) as root. That's one problem, but not what's causing your trouble with X Windows. As root, run xorgconfig and it will walk you through setting up your graphical interface. What kind of video hardware do you have?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Every time I experience a "black screen" on a laptop it is due to some "frame buffer" issue which most modern LiveCD distro's give a easy way to get around via picking an alternative boot option which bypasses that issue.

I'd also suggest that instead of installing straight away that you use a "LiveCD" type distro to get familiar before diving head in. That method can help a lot toward easing the frustrations of dealing with new unfamiliar territorys.

There are lots of LiveCD distro's to choose from these days. So experiment and have fun checking them out.

sounds like hardware issues

I have to agree with TechieMoe it sounds like you have hardware issues, maybe an unsupported (old) graphics card. I have been using Mandriva/Mandrake on a laptop as my primary work machine for 4/5 years now without major issues.