Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy all. Yesterday, I went to my friend's room to help him configure his FC5 installation on a Dell Inspiron e1705. The only problem I was unable to solve involves ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dell Inspiron e1705 Internal Speakers

Howdy all. Yesterday, I went to my friend's room to help him configure his FC5 installation on a Dell Inspiron e1705.

The only problem I was unable to solve involves his internal speakers. Sound plays fine through his headphones, but when the headphones are unplugged, nothing comes through the internal speakers. I know that the sound card is still working because ALSA reports that the line is in use when I try to change some settings.

In alsamixer, there is no option for speakers: there are only Master and PCM, neither of which is muted.

I am completely lost, and can't seem to find any solutions through Google. Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT:

Oh, and for the record, the speakers do work. We tested them under Windows, and sound plays fine.

Just Joined!
    Be careful when you do this:

If the sound card registers in Linux but no sound is coming out of the computer, could it be that there is specific software that is required to use the speakers? If so, and the speakers are PCI, then one way to check for the sound devices (and information about the devices, not just the names) is:
    Code:
    lspci -vv | less
    The only thing I recommend is that this may serve as a diagnostic information for your computer system. If all else fails and it seems that you have external speakers, then try plugging them in andf seeing. I believe that in Linux you may or may not have speakers that need to be configured in another way, but I am just speculating. I do hope that this helps