Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Anyone else out there have an HP dv6000z? From what I've found, both in reading and trying things out, is that this system pretty much wont work with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

HP dv6000z not linux compatible

Hi all,
    Anyone else out there have an HP dv6000z? From what I've found, both in reading and trying things out, is that this system pretty much wont work with Linux. At least for now. Basically it's an acpi problem. I have to boot with 'acpi=off' and that's pretty much unacceptable. Anyone else have experience/thoughts on this? When might these issues be resolved? Is there some bleeding edge kernel out there that's trying to resolve this?

I've tried SUSE 10.1, kubuntu 6.01, and Mandriva 2007. All of them eventually just freeze unless acpi is off.

I also killed the X system when trying to install the nvidia driver in suse. at that point i just restored XP and am now just trying live dvd's until I can find one that's stable.

AMD Turion64 TL-60 x2 2.0GHz
    2.0 GB DDR
    nVidia GeForce Go 7200
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hp.html

you might be able to find a similar notebook in that list. notebooks are tricky due to the customized hardware. i have two notebooks that i have linux installed on.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Thumbs down

yeah, poor planning on my part. I guess I didn't really look into linux compatability because I figured that I would be able to get it to work somehow. I had such an easy time with my last system (Dell Inspiron 8200 - pretty old system), that I didn't really expect that it just wouldn't work.

I'll keep poking at it after the semester ends and see what I can make happen.

:drown: :drown:
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    anything is possible just might take some time to find a distro that works well with all the hardware on your system. that is the fun part of linux
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    I just wrote this up, based on my experiences and what I gleaned. HTH.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-laptops.html

Just Joined!
    My dv9000z had pretty much the same problem. I ended up using a distro called SimplyMEPIS, and voila! Pretty much the only problem I got was the f@#! wireless card. Aside from that though... all good
    BTW, Mepis uses a live-CD/installer. And I still don't know about 3d acceleration, the nv driver seems to suck. Right now I am using Fedora Core 6, which works, once it actually finishes booting the sixth or seventh time.

I've found a distro called Sabayon based on gentoo. This is a binary distro though. Somehow this thing seems to work like magic. 3D, wireless (w/ ndiswrapper, but no trouble), etc. I recommend people to check it out. It's a pretty cool distro all around. the live dvd comes with Google Earth installed and it works like a charm. A pretty good demo of some of the tougher features to get working. It's also got Quake 4 demo and some other game, and glx and beryl all working on the live dvd. Actually, I couldn't get quake to work off the live dvd, not sure why. Anyway, as soon as finals are over (this week), I'm going to install it. so far all I've tested is the live dvd. I highly recommend it.

(and I've convinced people at work to let me dual boot my system there too!!)

Good bye windows!!!!!!

HP Pavilion dv6000t
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------

Just Joined!

I had the same problems ...

I was experiencing all of the difficulties that you have described with my friends dv9000z, but I finally got everything working perfectly. I moved from openSuSE 10.2 x86 to x86_64. This seemed to remedy the problem of general instability and random crashes and freezes. I then to the following steps to get everything else working:

*Booted in fail-safe mode and added Nvidia driver source to Yast.
    *Then added the Nvidia driver and kernel module.
    *Used ndiswrapper with the wireless driver downloaded from the HP support page for the dv9000z. It contains both 64 and 32 bit drivers both use the same .inf file. Had to was a Win machine to extract the file from the .exe
    *Installed V4L2 and Linux-UVC drivers to get the web cam working. Works great with Gnome Meeting or what ever it is they call it now.

Hope this helps you out pajamabama. It really is a nice laptop and is working great for my friend, a first time Linux user.

Just Joined!

dv9000z working here too

I had a few hiccups, but with iommu=off boot option, my Debian setup linked here is working great.