Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey folks, I just bought an Acer laptop and I have installed Ubuntu 6.06 on it. I was wondering if someone could point me to any resources on how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer aspire 1642ZNLCi Linux help

Hey folks, I just bought an Acer laptop and I have installed Ubuntu 6.06 on it. I was wondering if someone could point me to any resources on how to effeciently run it on this laptop. Like how and where to install video, sound, touchpad, wlan, bluetooth etc. drivers. It uses Intel GMA 900 with 915GS chipset. Kinda how to get it up and running. Any kind of help would be appreciated. :o

I found this page which seems to give some of the technical details about the laptop. The trouble is that there was bugger all about the use of that laptop with Linux, so you're proably going to have to look for help based on each of the components individually to see if there's any help around.

There seems to be plenty of help for the Intel 915GM chipset around.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    And there is also no sound! And the modem is not recognized either. So what to do?

Hmmm. Maybe I didn't make this very clear, for which I'm sorry.

You're probably going to have to look around for help based on each of the components individually.

This means that, for each individual component that doesn't work, you'll have to look around for linux advice about it.

The page I provided earlier makes no mention of the soundcard chipset or the modem type. There must be a note on what these are in the documentation that comes with the laptop. If you cant find it, then you can always open the windows hardware manager and write down what these appear to be, or do an 'lspci' from Linux to try to find out. Once you know what they are, you can use google or wikipedia to find out about them.

If you have specific problems with getting things working, then ask away.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I've fixed the sound.
    Now I need to get my modem working so I can connect to the internet. The modem according to XP is 'HDAUDIO soft data fax modem with SmartCP', Its some kind of high definition audio modem. Probably what they call a software modem. On my desktop I simply gave my user, password to the network settings and it connected with the ISP. Anyway the modem is not autodetected. So I probably need to get some drivers or something. So what do I do?

Hmmm... I'm sure I just saw this question roll around on this thread.