Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
I purchased a HP DV6000z direct from HP myself. I've set up a dual boot for now (I know, evil) so far it runs pretty stable. I've been watching for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I purchased a HP DV6000z direct from HP myself. I've set up a dual boot for now (I know, evil) so far it runs pretty stable. I've been watching for BIOS upgrades in hopes of getting a BIOS flash that will fix the APIC issues. I haven't gotten wireless working on it yet (tried using bcm43xx drivers no success). As someone said earlier, it is compatible with ndiswrapper which I'll be setting up soon enough. I did notice appending the noapic and nolapic options to the kernel caused linux not to work with my thumbdrive, which sucks =\.

Quote Originally Posted by netdaemon862
    I purchased a HP DV6000z direct from HP myself. I've set up a dual boot for now (I know, evil) so far it runs pretty stable. I've been watching for BIOS upgrades in hopes of getting a BIOS flash that will fix the APIC issues. I haven't gotten wireless working on it yet (tried using bcm43xx drivers no success). As someone said earlier, it is compatible with ndiswrapper which I'll be setting up soon enough. I did notice appending the noapic and nolapic options to the kernel caused linux not to work with my thumbdrive, which sucks =\.
    I've mentioned this on another thread, but I've got a hp zv5000, very similar to your laptop, and probably an identical wireless chipset.

I installed FC6 recently on a brand new hard drive and the wireless worked almost out of the box. I only needed the windows drivers and the bcmfw-cutter tool, and it fired right up; I didn't need anything extra, only the firmware.

I chose to use wpa_supplicant to connect to my secured wireless lan, 'cos NetworkManager only works after I've logged on at the console, and when my neighbour turns on his wireless router, it tries to jump ship onto his system, so its worse than useless.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    I've mentioned this on another thread, but I've got a hp zv5000, very similar to your laptop, and probably an identical wireless chipset.

I installed FC6 recently on a brand new hard drive and the wireless worked almost out of the box. I only needed the windows drivers and the bcmfw-cutter tool, and it fired right up; I didn't need anything extra, only the firmware.

I chose to use wpa_supplicant to connect to my secured wireless lan, 'cos NetworkManager only works after I've logged on at the console, and when my neighbour turns on his wireless router, it tries to jump ship onto his system, so its worse than useless.
    I tried using the native driver with bcm43xx-fwcutter, no go. I did get it working with ndiswrapper though. Hopefully it will work with the next kernel release =). Mind pointing me to the firmware that you used? I shall try them -). After blacklisting ndiswrapper of course. Chipset is a BCM4312 btw.

Just Joined!
    i have a cutom made dv6000 with the following hardware.
    Code:
    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
    00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
    00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
    00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
    00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
    00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
    00:0a.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PMU (rev a3)
    00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev f1)
    00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev f1)
    00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce Go 7200 (rev a1)
    07:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0832
    07:05.1 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
    07:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843 (rev 01)
    07:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 0a)
    07:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 05)
    and it runs fine even with smp except for a few issues.
    1. hard locks on syncing clock unless 'noapic' is appended to the kernel.
    2. because of this the alsa drivers that do not come in the kernel causes a kernel panic upon being loaded.
    3. since i can't use the external alsa-drivers i cannot get all the sound controls to work.
    4. after a few mins of running i get this in my dmesg and loose usb2.0
    Code:
    [  176.624369] irq 7: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
    [  176.624375]
    [  176.624376] Call Trace:
    [  176.624379]  <IRQ> [<ffffffff802ade35>] __report_bad_irq+0x35/0x90
    [  176.624397]  [<ffffffff802ae0c3>] note_interrupt+0x233/0x290
    [  176.624405]  [<ffffffff802ad32e>] __do_IRQ+0xee/0x150
    [  176.624412]  [<ffffffff80270f2d>] do_IRQ+0x6d/0x90
    [  176.624417]  [<ffffffff8026ed90>] default_idle+0x0/0x60
    [  176.624423]  [<ffffffff802663dd>] ret_from_intr+0x0/0xa
    [  176.624426]  <EOI> [<ffffffff80213cc0>] tcp_poll+0x0/0x150
    [  176.624437]  [<ffffffff8026edb9>] default_idle+0x29/0x60
    [  176.624443]  [<ffffffff8024f05a>] cpu_idle+0x6a/0x90
    [  176.624450]  [<ffffffff8075e379>] start_secondary+0x4e9/0x500
    [  176.624461]
    [  176.624463] handlers:
    [  176.624465] [<ffffffff8802f8f0>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x60 [usbcore])
    [  176.624485] Disabling IRQ #7
    though rmmoding and modprobing the ehci_hcd module makes it return for a short while though transfering large amounts of data may result in courption(only noticed this with mp3's mainly)
    though booting with the sujested option results in a kernel panic.

other then this i can get the laptop mostly working, i can even run beryl for a little while before it starts to bug out.

Just Joined!

Unhappy updates on the dv6000 series laptops

Well, I did try the 64 bit Edgy Etch desktop CD on my turion x2. No dice.

Edgy also just released a kernel update, but that didn't help things much that I saw.

From reading this and other forums, it appears that HP's BIOS is borked.

I experimented with the pci=assign-busses and irqpoll options, but I still need to boot noapic and nosmp to get anywhere.

to recap, with APIC enabled and SMP enabled on the turion X2 based system, it will most likely croak on APIC timer issues. I've not found a way around it, even turning of tsc, apictimer, and a whole bunch of other things.

In 64 bit mode on the AMD64 cd, it made it all the way to a login screen, but the IRQ interrupts were horribly unbalanced and the machine was unstable and slow.

Disabling APIC, but leaving SMP enabled, you can expect USB, the nvidia drivers, the ndis drivers, etc to be unstable, throw too many interrupts, get disabled and probably cause some sort of kernel panic. I _think_ this is why the bcm drivers and the firmware-cutter based approach didn't work for me.

Disabling APIC and disabling SMP, with pci=forceirq pci=assign-busses noapic nosmp, the system boots completely about half the time, and then is generally solid.

NVIDIA drivers: use the beta drivers, the same or better version than I listed previously.

wireless: use ndiswrapper with one of the windows driver files. Maybe with noapic and nosmp, the bcm drivers will work.

sound: no problem

buttons: they seem to work for me

onboard ethernet: no problem

booting: set the BIOS delay to 20 seconds, set the grub delay to 20 seconds. You might get luckier.

Oh, and as far as new tests:

suspend to disk mostly works: need to restart wireless
    hibernate: my display turned into a christmas tree of blinky lights and needed to be powercycled.

Good luck!

Just Joined!

HP: new bios?

I just looked. HP may have released bios version F1A for the AMD based notebooks.

Fixes

# Fixes issue with unexpected "beeping sound" that occurs with the keyboard.
    # Fixes issue where the System Health Scan - PCI Bus generates the following error message: "A system error was detected in RAM Memory Controller."

Enhancements

#Updates the BIOS to support the new Flash Parts.

Is anyone running F1A, and care to comment?

I'm probably going to give it a whirl tonight. I'm bored ...

Just Joined!
    I recently purchased a dv6105us myself, lured by the great price. I am trying to install Kubuntu 6.10 64 bit but can't even get through the install program due to the problems mentioned by others. I downloaded the BIOS update but discovered that it was the same version as the one on the notebook. Kubuntu still wouldn't run, even though I flashed the BIOS anyway.

Has anyone else had any luck?

Just Joined!
    well if read my post i got it to a working state.
    though i used gentoo and it took a few install attempts to get it to work but i did.

Just Joined!
    I'v gotten debian testing installed on here with no issues. I'v had to issue no kernel perameters to it and it seems to be running fairly stable. It seems debians jump from the 2.6.17 kernel to 2.6.18 has improved stability a bit, not one hard lock yet. Since I'm on a slow connection though, I have not got sound working yet. , we'll see how that goes after I have it running. I do use the most recent BIOS flash, been tracking it since I read this post.

As for any lockups during the install for Kubuntu, issuing the noapic and nolapic kernel perameters should resolve most lockup issues during the install.

Just Joined!

dv6000 issues

To boot your computer you should add noapic to boot options. noapic is necessary and sufficent for booting and installing.

Wireless works with ndiswrapper. Nvidia works fine. But ndiswrapper + nvidia does not work. In order to make it working, you have to use nosmp option which slows your computer very much.

Also headphone jack is not working. New alsa drivers support this issue but you cannot install these since they causes kernel panic.

I am expecting new kernels will have better support. Just wait a few months and everything will be fine (noapic will not be fixed, but this is a harmless hack)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast