Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
I downloaded the new BIOS from HP for my dv9008nr laptop with the amdx2 chip. Also downloaded the new kernel from SUSE...neither has produced any noticable improvement. booting is fine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I downloaded the new BIOS from HP for my dv9008nr laptop with the amdx2 chip. Also downloaded the new kernel from SUSE...neither has produced any noticable improvement.

booting is fine without problem..installed with no acpi option but no special boot parameters. system stability is fine generally.

sound- no sound.

wireless- am not able to get this working at all. internet works only when im wired. so far the copying windows drivers and bcw cutter have not worked at all.

I have the same chipset. installation in SUSE 10 did not recognise: sound card,wireless card, wireless router, graphics card.

the mcp51, which is listed as the ethernet controller, should i be adding this manually as the sound card, wlan etc? the same chipset that controls these functions...could these problems be corrected with an updated nvidia driver?

Just Joined!
    first of ndis wrapper and the nvidia do not seem to be exclusive for me. though i choose the 7200 go.
    here is my kernel config maybe it will help some people get sound working at least to the level i have. it works but all the controls you get are master and pcm.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just Joined!

dv9000z looking good

My HP dv9000z works great nvidia + ndiswrapper wireless..

Just arrived couple of days ago.

noapic breaks USB 2.0 with the "Disabling IRQ #7" error. Using pci=usepirqmask solves this problem. I think all my hardware may now be working, with APIC and ACPI.

have not tried the bcm43xx driver, but ndiswrapper is working great for now.

Some notes from my Debian setup here.

Just Joined!

dv9000

I don't have a dv6000, but I've got a dv9000t (intel-based one), and I suspect what I've done to get wireless working here may work for the dv6000.

I'm using debian unstable. I turned acpi off for the install. Afterwards, I removed the "noacpi" from my grub menu.1st. I added "pci=nommconf".

I used the latest beta nvidia drivers, and it works great.

I used debian's ipw3945-source to make a module for the wireless card and it work fine.

I'm using alsa 1.0.13-1 and the headphone doesn't seem to be working. There's not much in the way of control for this sound card. I really look forward to better support for it.

I got the multimedia keys working using lineakd and klineakd.

acpi works for power management, battery info, etc... suspend seems to work ok.

DVD works good.

Just Joined!

For AMD, noapic still the most stable

Well, after running with pci=usepirqmask, I have found some instabilities... Only before X loads (i.e. on fsck, I have seen a lockup, and one other time sorta random on load..) Once up, ie. gdm loaded, the instability seems to be gone. This is not good enough for me, so I am back to the 'noapic' boot with useless USB2. This of course is only for the AMD/nForce chipsets.

I sucessfully rebuilt my 9631 nvidia packages with Xen patches, but the pci=usepirqmask seems to foil loading of the nvidia module, and the noapic causes a Xen boot to stop Dom0 on the SATA driver..

Hope to have this Xen+nvidia 7600 on dv9000 solved by the end of the holiday.. looks like I am hitting the limitations of working with available debian packages and may have to try building some more cutting edge stuff from source (nvidia >9631, Xen>3.03, kernel >2.6.1 ....

iMac

I've got an HP dv6000z (AMD 64 x2). This and the 9000 are the ones that seem to be having the most trouble under linux. I've tried suse, fedora, ubuntu, mandriva, etc. Not really satisfied.

Until....

I found Sabayon!!

www.sabayonlinux.org. A gentoo based distro. Really slick looking and well built. Their goal of everything works out of the box seems to have paid off in this situation, because I'm really happy with it. Their latest has kernel 2.6.18, which is newer than most common distros these days, comes with proprietary softwares/driver preinstalled (ie. nvidia, google earth, flash, skype, etc.), as well as libdvdcss for dvd playback. Xgl and Beryl work as well as unfinished software is going to work. A little, well, quite bloated in terms of how many packages come in the standard install, but that's a small complaint. And it's fully compatible with all of gentoo's packages in portage so package management is great.

Overall a very stable, modern, and high quality distro. Even on these new HP laptops. So there's my advice.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Just Joined!

How does Gentoo fork help with apic issue?

I am interested in any fixes that apply to the apic issue. Perhaps you could post your dmesg for comparison. I did a make-kpkg on 2.6.20-rc2 and 2.6.19.1 with no change using noapic. Without noapic or loading X, I could get the 2.6.19.1 to get stuck after a few reboots.

Seems like a plug, so I'd better do a quick comparison on Sabayon:
    - requires emerge / build, so I'd be running my cpu 24/7 on my laptop to try to keep up with new software (assuming daily builds are anything close to what comes out of Debian daily binary releases)
    - Sabayon 3.0's nvidia is older (9625)
    - Xen Linux system support?
    - Debian's had 2.6.18 kicking around since Sept

I might give it a whirl in a Xen domU on my Sid box here when I get some time.. It's on the 'distro list'. Could be interesting..

Just Joined!

Debain Etch Mostly Stable!

Well I must say the progress of this laptop is comming along very well in the linux world. With Debian Etch's default kernel, 2.6.18.3, i'v had no hardlocks whatsoever. Have had no need in kernel parameters for it either!

Although I have not gotten a chance to test it with both the non-free nvidia kernel module and ndiswrapper running yet, I'v loaded the module and ran it for hours, not one hickup. The MMC Card reader also works under this kernel. The only hardware that I have found not to work on here so far is the headphone jack. Has anyone else got it working?

Just Joined!

headphones on dv6000

Quote Originally Posted by netdaemon862
    ...The only hardware that I have found not to work on here so far is the headphone jack. Has anyone else got it working?
    hi! i had the same problem... after reading a bit on google, i discovered some hints http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix

first you must find out what sound card you have. mine is listed below

# lspci | grep -i audio
    Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 64).

and then i installed from http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
    the driver for my sound card
    the las step was to set the volume from alsamixer
    hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by netdaemon862
    Well I must say the progress of this laptop is comming along very well in the linux world. With Debian Etch's default kernel, 2.6.18.3, i'v had no hardlocks whatsoever. Have had no need in kernel parameters for it either!

Although I have not gotten a chance to test it with both the non-free nvidia kernel module and ndiswrapper running yet, I'v loaded the module and ran it for hours, not one hickup. The MMC Card reader also works under this kernel. The only hardware that I have found not to work on here so far is the headphone jack. Has anyone else got it working?
    well i am on gentoo and i just recently found out that the latest kernel won't panic with the external alsa driver package installed. headphones now work but no controls for it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast