Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Originally Posted by netdaemon862 Well I must say the progress of this laptop is comming along very well in the linux world. With Debian Etch's default kernel, 2.6.18.3, i'v had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Further on Debian on dv9000z series

Quote Originally Posted by netdaemon862
    Well I must say the progress of this laptop is comming along very well in the linux world. With Debian Etch's default kernel, 2.6.18.3, i'v had no hardlocks whatsoever. Have had no need in kernel parameters for it either!
    Very interesting; Etch and Sid use nearly the same kernel today, only Sid is one revision newer running 2.6.18.5. (2.6.18-7 = Etch, 2.6.18-8 = Sid)

Can you post your lspci? I'd like to sniff out your hardware.

Unmodified I can get hard lockup when fsck'ing disk or messing around prior to the GUI coming up. Its seems to be only in the init where I get lockup; The other notable think is the reboot does not operate properly. Without noapic, reboot seems to just "REBOOT" rather than properly shutdown processes, sync disks - effectively it crash-reboots.

Have not tested headphone, but sound is fine. I will though with the 2.6.20-rc2-mm1 I am running now when I have a second with it.

Notably the 2.6.20-rc2-mm1 kernel seems to work best unmodified (crashed once on boot), except that when I type 'reboot' it doesn't go through the normal shutdown still, but does the crash-reboot.

As a sidenote on wireless, Interestingly my ndiswrapper worked fine on a Linksys WRT54G, and then in an airport (the former with WEP) but at my home, it does not work with my D-Link DI-624M. Just won't take - bizare. Interestingly, I have intermitent connectivity with the bcm43xx with 2.6.20-rc2-mm1 (agains which Debian ndiswrapper-source does not build currently) - It's a tease with 80% packet loss. Since my windows driver was v4, I used the auto-downloader with bcm43xx-fwcutter, and that got me this suedo-working v3. Need to mess around with the module options or other firmware v3 to see if I can make it work 100% without ndiswrapper.

Also, cpurfreq-info displays nothing; i.e. Frequency scaling is disabled, so power consumption and heat are at max. With the 2.6.18, sensors does not output the temperatures either; k8-temp sensors show values fine with 2.6.19+

I did note that my full charge (cat /proc/acpi/BAT0/info) is 4700 mAh of design capacity 6000mAh. I was thinking of returning my 8-cell battery, but then caught a glimpse of someone with 3800 mAh on theirs in a forum, only to be told that was normal. (I doubt it - so I am curious if any other dv9000 users can post their BAT info).
    Last edited by i.macdonald; 01-02-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by i.macdonald
    Notably the 2.6.20-rc2-mm1 kernel seems to work best unmodified (crashed once on boot), except that when I type 'reboot' it doesn't go through the normal shutdown still, but does the crash-reboot.

As a sidenote on wireless, Interestingly my ndiswrapper worked fine on a Linksys WRT54G, and then in an airport (the former with WEP) but at my home, it does not work with my D-Link DI-624M. Just won't take - bizare. Interestingly, I have intermitent connectivity with the bcm43xx with 2.6.20-rc2-mm1 (agains which Debian ndiswrapper-source does not build currently) - It's a tease with 80% packet loss. Since my windows driver was v4, I used the auto-downloader with bcm43xx-fwcutter, and that got me this suedo-working v3. Need to mess around with the module options or other firmware v3 to see if I can make it work 100% without ndiswrapper.

Also, cpurfreq-info displays nothing; i.e. Frequency scaling is disabled, so power consumption and heat are at max. With the 2.6.18, sensors does not output the temperatures either; k8-temp sensors show values fine with 2.6.19+

I did note that my full charge (cat /proc/acpi/BAT0/info) is 4700 mAh of design capacity 6000mAh. I was thinking of returning my 8-cell battery, but then caught a glimpse of someone with 3800 mAh on theirs in a forum, only to be told that was normal. (I doubt it - so I am curious if any other dv9000 users can post their BAT info).
    well for the wireless i have heard that happens when you mix brands like linksys card with netgear router but not with broadcom..

temps kind of work for me too though i don't think it's a acurate reading. it creeps from 53c to 58c and then back down to 53c with no indication that the fan has come on.

Just Joined!
    james@Samoa:~$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
    present: yes
    design capacity: 6000 mAh
    last full capacity: 4192 mAh
    battery technology: rechargeable
    design voltage: 14800 mV
    design capacity warning: 212 mAh
    design capacity low: 128 mAh
    capacity granularity 1: 10 mAh
    capacity granularity 2: 25 mAh
    model number: Primary
    serial number:
    battery type: LION
    OEM info: Hewlett-Packard

Just Joined!
    I have a 6110us, and installed RHEL4U4 (actually CentOS 4.4). After I updated the kernel to the one in FC6 - 2.6.18 - I still need noapic, but smp works. I do get the IRQ 7 disabled message, and I also have a problem where holding down control-something to autorepeat occasionally gets the something without the control. This always happens if I bump the touchpad, but occasionally happens when I don't.

I have a summary webpage at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dv6110us.html

My 6? cell battery is:

[root@dhcp-2-231 lindahl]# cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
    present: yes
    design capacity: 6000 mAh
    last full capacity: 4064 mAh
    battery technology: rechargeable
    design voltage: 14800 mV
    design capacity warning: 207 mAh
    design capacity low: 125 mAh
    capacity granularity 1: 10 mAh
    capacity granularity 2: 25 mAh
    model number: Primary
    serial number:
    battery type: LION
    OEM info: Hewlett-Packard

It seems to be good for about 2.25 hours, I'm definitely buying the 12 cell battery.

-- greg

Just Joined!
    Very interesting; Etch and Sid use nearly the same kernel today, only Sid is one revision newer running 2.6.18.5. (2.6.18-7 = Etch, 2.6.18-8 = Sid)

Can you post your lspci? I'd like to sniff out your hardware.
    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
    00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
    00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
    00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
    00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
    00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
    00:0a.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PMU (rev a3)
    00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev f1)
    00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev f1)
    00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 01)
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 01d6 (rev a1)
    07:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0832
    07:05.1 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
    07:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843 (rev 01)
    07:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 0a)
    07:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 05)

Btw, the video card is an Nvidia GeForce Go 7200

Just Joined!
    I received a tip via email that iommu=off seems to be the boot option of choice.

I have been using it all day. Everything is working great.

Also 2.6.20-rc5 has some specific fixes for the dv_000z series Bluetooth and Sound noted in the changelog.

http://www.ianbmacdonald.com/wordpre...ux-on-dv9000z/

Just Joined!

dv6140us suse 10.1

I have a hp laptop. I took all the windows off and loaded suse 10.1. I have gotten the wireless to work with ndiswrapper and the usb connections to work by changing the boot loader parameters to

noapic pci=assign-busses noirqdebug resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts

The noapic pci=assign-busses entries helped resolve some of the irq issues, and the noirqdebug as least got the usb's working.

I still can't control the volume on the sound card, nor use the head set jack but I do get full volume sound.

If HP comes out with a bios release that fixes the apic, I guess I am going to have to load windows back on to upgrade.

Just Joined!
    I need some serious help with this issue that everyone else here is experiencing.

I have a ZV6000 servies. I am trying to load Fedora core 6. I have tried running it with the noapic command and it still freezes.

These are the last few lines.

Loading keyring
    - Add public key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (the Xs are random numbers and letters)
    -User ID: Red Hat, Inc. (Kernel Module GPC key)
    io scheduler noop registered
    io scheduler anticipatory registered
    io scheduler deadline registered
    io scheduler cfg registered (default)

Then it freezes right there. Any help trying to get this installed would be great.

Thanks

Just Joined!

iommu=off trumps various pci= and apic options for me

Well,

Using the iomm=off and the stock Debian 2.6.18 (Etch/Sid) kernels I am quite pleased. No lockups or freezes; The reboot/shutdown works 100% of the time, and I am even able to use nvidia drivers and xen hypervisor, so now I am running all my other OSes on top of Debian. 2K3 and XP seem fine so far.

Check out this screenshot.

The 2.6.20-rc6 and rc4 kernels have some updates specific to the HP dv9/6/2000z series laptops (bcm43x, audio, bluetooth).

Just Joined!

Hey!

I confirm that iommu=off noirqdebug does the trick. SMP works, USB 2.0 works, the NVidia driver works, and I no longer need noapic! Thanks!

-- greg

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast