Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Originally Posted by Greg Lindahl I confirm that iommu=off noirqdebug does the trick. SMP works, USB 2.0 works, the NVidia driver works, and I no longer need noapic! Thanks! -- ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    d.w
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lindahl
    I confirm that iommu=off noirqdebug does the trick. SMP works, USB 2.0 works, the NVidia driver works, and I no longer need noapic! Thanks!

-- greg
    Hi. For which kernel (or distribution) does the iommu=off noirqdebug kernel parameter work for you?

I have a dv9043ea and I have experienced the same problems as you all. I could solve (almost all) of my problems when I started using Archlinux and their stock kernel. All i had to to is to use the pnpbios=off kernel-parameter. Usb2, nvidia, everything works (see my output of /proc/interrupts) except for one thing.

Code:
    dw@localhost:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
    CPU0 CPU1
    0: 66824 151 IO-APIC-edge timer
    1: 168 1 IO-APIC-edge i8042
    8: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
    9: 23 13 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
    10: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi sdhci:slot0
    11: 2 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci1394
    12: 122 2 IO-APIC-edge i8042
    14: 2820 1 IO-APIC-edge libata
    15: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge libata
    16: 11894 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata
    17: 89 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi libata
    18: 11 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1
    19: 14976 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb2
    21: 97 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi HDA Intel
    22: 14650 1 IO-APIC-fasteoi nvidia
    NMI: 0 0
    LOC: 66865 66868
    ERR: 0
    MIS: 0
    Everytime I completely shut down this notebook and start it again, there is a tsc sync error happening on first boot attempt. So I have to manually power down the notebook and start it again. Then it works. Unfortunately, the notsc option did not do the trick.

So I'm very interested which kernel I should use to have _everything_ working. Thx.

Just Joined!
    I'm running the 2.6.18 kernel from FC6. See

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dv6110us.html

-- greg

d.w
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lindahl
    I'm running the 2.6.18 kernel from FC6. See

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dv6110us.html

-- greg
    Hi Greg. Thanks a lot for your answer. I tried with the FC6 Live-CD but unfortunately I wasn't even able to boot with this kernel parameters. X wouldn't start and I wasn't able to get into a virtual terminal so no logs,....

Bernhard

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I suggest compiling a 2.6.20 kernel if you havn't already. Seems it detects the wireless natively, the HP firmware extracted from the bcmwl564.sys does not seem to work. Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Hey all,

This thread has been very useful in getting me thinking about boot params for making my laptop work, and I appreciate everyone's input and advice.

Unfortunately, I still have hangs maybe 60 % of the time. I've tried almost everything, though not systematically from this thread. Here's my specs:

HP dv6000z CTO NB
    Ubuntu edgy 32-bit
    kernel=2.6.17-10-i386

Even with noapic, I get hangs at some of the same places others have mentioned. I have tried iommu=off, and the same thing happens, also nosmp. The only thing that definitively lets me boot is acpi=off and that shuts down my NVIDIA and wireless capability, as well as god knows what else.

First question--where do I see my bootlog? I've never figured this out--which file is it?

Maybe my next task is to try every option recommended here systematically and see if one works--as it is, I've only tried boot params that seemed to fix problems similar to mine, but maybe that's being too obvious.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by whenelvisdied
    Hey all,

This thread has been very useful in getting me thinking about boot params for making my laptop work, and I appreciate everyone's input and advice.

Unfortunately, I still have hangs maybe 60 % of the time. I've tried almost everything, though not systematically from this thread. Here's my specs:

HP dv6000z CTO NB
    Ubuntu edgy 32-bit
    kernel=2.6.17-10-i386

Even with noapic, I get hangs at some of the same places others have mentioned. I have tried iommu=off, and the same thing happens, also nosmp. The only thing that definitively lets me boot is acpi=off and that shuts down my NVIDIA and wireless capability, as well as god knows what else.

First question--where do I see my bootlog? I've never figured this out--which file is it?

Maybe my next task is to try every option recommended here systematically and see if one works--as it is, I've only tried boot params that seemed to fix problems similar to mine, but maybe that's being too obvious.

So, here are the two lines that my laptop hangs on:

PCI: Ignoring BAR0-3 of IDE Controller 000:00:0d.0
    and sometimes the line immediately before that, which is:

ACPI: Assume root bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0
    Also, when it does load, I get a line in my ubuntu load page (graphical) that says:

Activating Swap..... FAILED

Just Joined!
    Hi everybody, i have a problem trying to set my wireless card on HP Pavilion dv6000 with amd64 x2 in kubuntu+ kernel 2.6.20. I first tried using BCM43XX module + fwcutter, but it seems not to work, then tried ndiswrapper, but.. nothing.So i gave a dsmeg in konsole and i think the problem is there since it is saying:

bcm43xx: Cannot register irq0.

Someone knows what does it means and what to do to solve that situation?

thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Forget my first post, i have followed the suggestons of the first post and it's all ok now. i had a problem setting acpi=off at boot options, so removed that and the wifi works with ndiswrapper. thanks anyway

Just Joined!
    Well, I've loaded it a half dozen times with the following boot parameters written into menu.lst:

noapic nolapic pci=routeirq

The swap issue was an unrelated problem that is also now solved.

Here are my specs:

HP Pavillion dv6000z
    Amd turion 64 X2
    Nvidia GeForce Go 7200
    Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 386
    Ndiswrapper for wireless (which works)
    "Nvidia" driver from the nvidia website, which also works.

Just Joined!
    Someone tested the dv6000 webcam?Does it work?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast