Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Originally Posted by Greg Lindahl I confirm that iommu=off noirqdebug does the trick. SMP works, USB 2.0 works, the NVidia driver works, and I no longer need noapic! Thanks! -- ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lindahl
    I confirm that iommu=off noirqdebug does the trick. SMP works, USB 2.0 works, the NVidia driver works, and I no longer need noapic! Thanks!

-- greg
    works for me too but not all the time..
    btw what model's and bios's are you and the other person using?
    dv 6000 here with the first bios it came with. f.18

Just Joined!

HP Pavilion dv6152

Hi!

Thanks to all the posts in this thread I finally managed to configure my laptop.

I have a dv6152 with AMD Turion64x2, NVidia Graphics, 15.4" screen etc., the full configuration can be found here:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...-12724400.html

The laptop shipped with WinXP preinstalled. I first resized the Windows partition to make some space for Linux and then installed Fedora 6 i386. I now have a dual boot Fedora 6 and WinXP Media.

Some of the highlights I remember:
    - Fedora would freeze on boot, that was fixed by using the iommu=off and noirqdebug kernel flags. It now doesn't hang regularly, but sometimes still behaves a bit dodgy, especially when looking for the network connection
    - Sound - the integrated speakers worked immediately, the microphone didn't. The soundcard in and out didn't work at all. I installed ALSA and after that the soundcard output (headphones) started working, however microphone is still dead - the integrated one and the one on the soundcard
    - Webcam - have not managed to make it work yet
    - NVidia graphics driver installation was smooth, had to manually add the 1280x800 to the xorg.conf though.
    - System speaker was on by default and every time the system hung, the speaker would go of into a sequence of loud repetitive beeps - the only way to stop it was to shut down the computer with the on/off button as it completely froze. I disabled the beeper in the X settings but that will not solve the freezing problem, I don't think
    - Although computer boots fine now except for occasional network searching loop, it does hang on soft reboot or soft shutdown, again occasionally
    - on boot, at the very beginning, I get this message ( I don't know what it is supposed to mean, any help would be great):
    PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:20000@e0000000 for 0000:05:00.0
    - USB2.0 works fine.

If I remember anything else, I'll add it later.

Netgear DG834G not showing up in wifi-radar

Hi,

I have a dv6152eu using Ubuntu 6.10. I installed the windows wireless drivers using Automatix2 and it shows up my neighbour's wireless but not mine, which is a Netgear DG834G. It says "Access point: invalid" when I manually enter the wireless network details in /etc/network/interfaces

I tried doing the ndiswrapper way, but as soon as I blacklist the bcm43xx I can't get eth1 up as it doesn't find the interface.

I'm thinking it may be more to do with the router than the card now as I can see the other network.

It worked fine in Windoze.

Any ideas?

Cheers...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by open4.org
    Hi,

I have a dv6152eu using Ubuntu 6.10. I installed the windows wireless drivers using Automatix2 and it shows up my neighbour's wireless but not mine, which is a Netgear DG834G. It says "Access point: invalid" when I manually enter the wireless network details in /etc/network/interfaces

I tried doing the ndiswrapper way, but as soon as I blacklist the bcm43xx I can't get eth1 up as it doesn't find the interface.

I'm thinking it may be more to do with the router than the card now as I can see the other network.

It worked fine in Windoze.

Any ideas?

Cheers...
    linux for me likes to play the interface naming game.
    if i blacklist or not modprobe a module for say a wired internet port, if the system has not already set the wireless to the wlan naming scheme will either make it eth0 or eth2 if the wired was eth1

Just Joined!

Talking try the f.27 bios!

HP released a BIOS for their AMD laptops, F.27, sometime in January, according to their website.

They claim "Updates the BIOS to meet the requirements for a Microsoft Vista Ready PC.", but I installed it, and for the first time, had SMP working reliably with my turion X2!

I don't need the laundry list of boot options anymore, weeding down to:
    noirqdebug

Booting with iommu=off and noirqdebug, it seemed that interrupts were being heavily weighted towards the first processor.

Booting without options, wireless seemed to hang.

Adding in just noirqdebug, well ...I'm typing this now!

Linux naginata 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP Thu Feb 1 19:52:28 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux, Kubuntu Edgy Etch

-- Linux from Pasadena

Just Joined!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by linuxfrompasadena
    HP released a BIOS for their AMD laptops, F.27, sometime in January, according to their website.
    So much for optimism.

While it would come up in SMP in a lot of cases, wireless would completely disappear under graphical web browsing.

I guess that it interrupts itself to all heck and back. It seems to be even worse if its sharing IRQs with the nvidia graphics card.

When the wireless was working, it was also a lot slower during download tests.

Oh well.

Back to the drawing board.

Just Joined!
    Personally I've had pretty good luck with a vga=792 (or 791) line (basically enabling the framebuffer console), setting:
    idle=poll acpi_use_timer_override iommu=off noirqdebug pnpbios=off
    and with the bcm43xx driver in 2.6.21-rc3 it works quite well
    the only issue I'm running into now is I reliably cannot get a suspend/resume cycle to work

Just Joined!

Hp dv6000z

i Have a laptop like this

HP Pavillion dv6000z
    Amd turion 64 X2
    Nvidia GeForce Go 7200

and i want use linux on it.... but i have some dificult to get a stable system with ubuntu 7.04, i read on this thread about sabayon , suse and ubuntu with some boot arguments (noapic, nolapic, nosmp, irqpci=router...) im a newbie on linux can anyone tell me what distro and arguments boot a need use ?

I wanna use linux Help me

Just Joined!
    I have found that with Ubuntu and other distributions the kernel options noapic noirqdebug work 100% of the time for me. The USB dosn't time out with irqconflicts or anything =)

Just Joined!
    Hi Guys, i recently buy a dv6258se.

I try to install ubuntu 7.04 without boot options, and when start quicly pass a messages that it says "Found Bios Bug" or someone.

Then it's starts to boot and when it goes to X, the screen go to blank, and no response from tty, I need to reboot.

Then I try to install debian etch, I install fine, but when i boot to X the same at ubuntu the blank screen.

Anyone know, if i have to change xorg.conf, put a new resolution, change refresh? anyone can put his xorg.conf its a 15.4 laptop. with ge force go 6150

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast