Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I have a Compaq Evo N620c running mandriva 2007 and it's at 56% charged and it doesn't go up any farther....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

stops at 56% charged

Ok I have a Compaq Evo N620c running mandriva 2007 and it's at 56% charged and it doesn't go up any farther.

To keep your battery in good condition you should be completely draining it occasionally, then charging it to full. I think most laptop manufacturers recommend you do this once a month. You could try doing a complete discharge and recharge three or four times in a row and seeing if it makes any difference to the batter meter. Discharge it by leaving the laptop running the computer on batteries only until it shuts off, start up some GLX screensaver or pop-in a DVD if you want to discharge the batter quicker, running your video card is a drain on the system, as is the CD or DVD rom drive. Then make sure it's recharged to the top before you turn it on again.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    OK so I dischanged it compeletely that wierd thing is it jumped from 31% to 0% in a minute all I was doin' was lisening to music. And now when I start to charge it again it stops at 36% and I'm worry if I discharge it again I'll only be able to charge to 16%

EDIT- Now it won't charge past 0%

How old is it? Charging to the top and discharging it can rescue and recondition (to an extent) older batteries, but there is a point at which they dont work any more. I've never understood the physics behind it, but older Nokia phones used to have a chip on the battery that counted the number of recharges the battery was given and nailed the battery after a pre-defined amount - you used to be able to regenerate them by putting them in the freezer overnight which reset the counter's memory. I've done this before, but you cant do it with modern batteries because the extreme cold destroys more than the memory on such chips.

All I can suggest is that you run it on battery till empty, and then charge it with the device turned off for a few hours (at least half as long again as you would normally expect it to charge up in) and then run it until empty. Repeat this a few times and see if it improves the condition. If not, then you'll be stuck with having to get a new battery or running it on the mains forever.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/