Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am fairly new to the world of Linux, I have installed it 2 or 3 times over the last 5 years or so, but gave up because ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recommend a distro for my project

Hi All,

I am fairly new to the world of Linux, I have installed it 2 or 3 times over the last 5 years or so, but gave up because of the lack of driver support and time.

I work in the IT industry so getting to know this great OS is imperative at some point in time, and I have a project in mind I would really like some help with.

I have an old Sony Vaio laptop that's a P3 with 256mb RAM, 30gb hard drive and PCMCIA Netgear wireless card.

With the help of an FM Transmitter like this one, an inverter for the power supply and a USB media remote, I want to build an in car MP3 player.

I would like to have a small linux partition (1-3gb) that goes into stand by mode when the car's power is switched off, and resumes automatically when the car is switched on, including connecting to my home WLAN for file transfer.

Can anyone recommend a Linux distribution to go with, a place to start looking for drivers and how to go about setting it up?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post photo's as this project progresses and do a tutorial for anyone who's interested.

Thanks for any help!

There's plenty of stuff about this on the internet already. I suggest you take a look around.

Personally, I cant see any need for an fm transmitter, you can take the audio out straight from the computer and hard-wire it to the audio system. As far as linux distro goes, you'll probably be looking at stuff like DSL, to keep the size down, there are several 'tiny' distro's tho - take a look on distrowatch.com.

There are some hints on doing this kind of stuff here on the O'Reilly net web pages.

If you're going the whole hog, you might like this piece of kit from LinuxDevices, although you already have your linux machine. This mentions a distro called iMedia, which sounds interesting.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Nice plan, good luck.

Tell us the results when you are finished, maybe some pictures.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi guys,
    I'm going with DSL 2.4 standard. Any tips on how to setup the laptop to quick stand by when the power is switched off, and fast resume when power is restored?