Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to find a laptop that would suite my needs and I'm in a bit of a jam becouse just can't seem to find one that would fit. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Search for a suitable laptop

Hi,

I'm trying to find a laptop that would suite my needs and I'm in a bit of a jam becouse just can't seem to find one that would fit.
    Anyway first I would like to find a laptop with hardware that would work under Ubuntu. Especially things like the wifi and it would be nice if the wifi worked out of the box becouse I've had some bad experiances with non out of the box ones(don't ask).
    And the second thing is I really hate hooking up things on the sides of the laptop, so I'm trying to find something that's got at least 2 USB ports the LAN and Power at the back anything else can be on the side. But those thing have to be on tha back.
    And the last thing is the display since I do quite a lot of graphics I would prefere that the display is crystal bright(or how ever it is called) and at least 1024x800(or whatever the res. is)

I mean I've been looking everywhare and found some interesting laptops, but there's always a catch if the hooukups are on the back the display is't ok. Or if the display is ok and hookups, then the wifi isn't supportet or something.

I've looked at laptops like:
    HP nc4010 - but the resolution isn't right
    Dell Latitude D520 - but the display type isn't glossy and I'm not sure the wifi would work
    Dell Inspiron 6400 - not sure the wifi would work

So if anyone knows of any laptops that fit my criteria I'l be very greatfull.

Thanks for the help

tpl
    Linux User
    well, personally I favor IBM thinkpads, i.e. several years ago:-)
    The t23 has 2 USB ports/LAN/power in the back; screen res goes up to
    SXGA+ (1400*1050)--XGA (1024*768) is normal; some have wifi
    built-in, can't say whether ubuntu will "out of the box" it--you could go
    back to MS products. Machines like this show up on eBay (US) for
    around $300 +- depending--XGA non-wifi less.

(this machine, an SXGA+ t22 has only one USB port:-)

happy hunting
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

lam
    I know that price is always an issue but you might take a look at the Asus site. They don't sell direct but do have a good list of re-sellers you can get to right from the site.

Just Joined!
    Actualy since I wasn't able to find any small laptops so I went the other way.
    I bought a Toshiba Satelite P100-257 and I'm using ubuntu. The wifi works and so does everything else. The only thing that's been giving me truble is the sound card. It seems to be installed but is not producing any sound. Apparently due to the driver for the modem beeing loaded after the sound card and not he other way around.
    Unfortunetly I'm not that skiled in the use of linux so I haven't been able to fix it.
    But people hav told me that I can get the sound working, the card reagder and eve increase the resolution to maximum. But I just don't know where to start.

tpl
    Linux User
    good choice, glad you got wifi going. As for sound: try "aumix"or "alsamixer"

for reasons unknown, linux tends to start w/ sound turned off
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

Just Joined!
    tpl > I tryed it but it did not have efect since the sound card is showing as working. can even mute and unmute change the volume, play things but no sound. So I did a little digging and found this wiki for the same model. But I haven't been able to make heads or tails of it yet.
    The only diference is my model has no finger print reader witch is fine by me.
    But I still need to get the thing working under linux.