Find the answer to your Linux question:
first installation of linux on a new HP dv9008 nr laptop, with the amd turionx2 chip. I am setting up a double boot of windows xp and suse 10 on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse 10 on HP dv9008nr

first installation of linux on a new HP dv9008 nr laptop, with the amd turionx2 chip. I am setting up a double boot of windows xp and suse 10 on the other partition.

i resized the windows partition using Acronis disk director. Uninstalled unnecessary programs and optimized as much as possible before SUSE installation.

At suse setup screen i chose the option for no acpi, based on a thread i had read on the hp site, saying that this could do damage to the machine. does this make any difference? I am wondering if the direct play functions for hp are interfering as well?

installation proceeded.after setting up root and entering the hardware detection the problems started.

no dsl connection detected, no modem detected.
    -i am using verizon dsl service using a linksys wireless router.
    how do i go about resolving this problem>?

also, with no acpi...when i quit from the desktop i just go to a command prompt. how does one shutdown altogether?

thanks for any help you be able to give this newbie

Just Joined!

lucky

good news. i reinstalled ndiswrapper and tried the modem connection with wires on instead.

when in yast it still doesnt show any valid dsl connections or network cards but somehow i have an internet connection . amazing luck but i have no idea what i did.

how do i get the network card and so forth recogised properly and how do i go about
    making it a wireless connection? im presently updating all the packages with online update.

thanks for any ideas

Just Joined!
    based on yesterdays installation

system failed to correctly identify
    nvidia video card
    sound card
    network card
    wireless adapter wlan-broadcom

i installed some update packets and now im able to access the internet by plugging the cable into my wireless router. however none of the hardware incorrectly identified during install has been corrected.

how does one go about doing this in linux? i tried to manually add the broadband router but nothing available. . any help would be much appreciated.
    thank you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close