Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Just to start off, I am a TOTAL n00b to linux. I have used windows all my life and I want something different, safe, and cool. Linux sounds like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux on IBM 600 Help

Hi, Just to start off, I am a TOTAL n00b to linux. I have used windows all my life and I want something different, safe, and cool. Linux sounds like the way to go, so I am using my ancient IBM 600 laptop, equipped with Windows 2kPro Right now, I would like to install either Ubuntu, Red hat, or Something along those lines.
    So I reformatted, because I could not resize my windows partition (oddly enough) And it froze every time i tried to Put a distro on my usb HDD 20 gb. I installed Ubuntu the first time, No sound for me, My Linksys Wireless card, apparently was not registered (or i did not do something right, cause I couldnt open up a browser and connect to the internet) and the graphics were reasonably bad. It was set off to the left, so I had this black space under, and on the right of my laptop screen, and the whole deals graphics were like fonts with no smoothing, and looked like I was running a Hewlett Packard from the 80's . It was not terrible, but it was a bit of an eye damager, And I could not set my screen Res. to 1024x768. I wanted to run WINE (apparently I can run some windows programs with this nifty program) But me being the newbie to linux, I dont know how to do anything . Including installing programs. I have a never ending fear of Text base installer, I love my GUI, but If Absolutely necessary i can use text base commands. I used knoppix for awhile testing it out, the graphics on that were absolutely fine, but It did not detect my wireless card though. So I installed Red hat, hoping that It could maybe make things a little easier, by Letting me get on the internet, hear sound, and view nice graphics, but all the contrary. Same Issues with Ubuntu, So If anyone can help me out I would be most grateful. Thank you for listening to me, I know I may sound stupid to most, but i AM a noob.

Ryan

just to be clear, you installed Linux onto your USB drive and not to your internal drive? Also which distro are you using at the moment?

For the graphics, try editing your /etx/X11/xorg.conf file. i.e. in your xorg.conf file, look for a line like:
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen"

Device "nivdia" <-- which graphics device to use i.e. your graphics card, look a few lines up to see what Linux calls your graphics card

Monitor "lcd" <--- what the monitor is called, as with graphics card, scroll up a bit to see what linux calls it

DefaultDepth 32 <---- this line sets default color depth to use
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24 <--- settings for 24 bit color
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" <--- first set of numbers in quotes sets which resolution to start up with, any other numbers are fallback resolutions.
    EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"
    Depth 32
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    edit:: added some spaces to enhance clarity.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    just to be clear, you installed Linux onto your USB drive and not to your internal drive? Also which distro are you using at the moment?

For the graphics, try editing your /etx/X11/xorg.conf file. i.e. in your xorg.conf file, look for a line like:

edit:: added some spaces to enhance clarity.
    Well, I tried putting it on my usb drive (Actually it is a 30GB external but it is a small as a flash) But it froze every time i tried putting it on there. So I reformatted my Internal HDD, putting ubuntu on it, Then reformatted putting Red Hat Fedora core 3, None of those fixed my problems, so I went back to Windows Using 200 Pro, which I want to dual boot with now. Can I edit that file with a live cd? Because I bought a linux format disc, coming with Gentoo,Ubuntu and PClinuxOS, on it, and I would definitely Like to make sure that fixes the graphics before I go installing it and what not.

Ryan

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    1. Dual booting, yes it can be done. Make sure you have some unpartitioned space on the drive (5+ GB). Most modern linux installers will see the unpartitioned space and try to install there.

2. Graphics, yes you can edit xorg.conf with a livecd. However the installer should setup the graphics properly on the first go, esp Ubuntu. However some distros can be a bit picky about some hardware configurations. Perhaps a full spec of your system would help me in pointing you in the right direction. Also, if you are running out of distros to try you may want to try openSUSE, in my experience it is by far the easiest to setup and configure esp for Laptops.

3. Installing onto external drive, I have heard it is possible, there are several articles around which detail how to accomplish this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    1. Dual booting, yes it can be done. Make sure you have some unpartitioned space on the drive (5+ GB). Most modern linux installers will see the unpartitioned space and try to install there.

2. Graphics, yes you can edit xorg.conf with a livecd. However the installer should setup the graphics properly on the first go, esp Ubuntu. However some distros can be a bit picky about some hardware configurations. Perhaps a full spec of your system would help me in pointing you in the right direction. Also, if you are running out of distros to try you may want to try openSUSE, in my experience it is by far the easiest to setup and configure esp for Laptops.

3. Installing onto external drive, I have heard it is possible, there are several articles around which detail how to accomplish this.
    I tried resizing the windows partition in it, but it would not let me . I need to get a partitioning program (For free, which would be the best) I have one, I just need to burn it to an ISO. I just got a bit of an older sony Vaio, So I will see what all i can do with that. But I may still want to use linux on my IBM. I can't remember my specs on the IBM, They are a bit old. Pentium2 close to 300mb RAM. 30GB HDD, along those lines.

Ryan

Won't Win 2K's partitioner allow you to partition the drive either during install or from Control Panel -> Administrative Tasks -> Something?? -> Hard drive.

From the hardware description, I would suggest you go with Ubuntu and once it is installed, use a lighter WM such as XFCE to save on resources. Also, regarding the random freezing, try passing "acpi=off noapic" before install starts (without quotes) and see if it helps.