Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone tell me: 1. If Linux can be installed on an emachine W4620 ( Turion, ATI Radeon ). 2. What major problems exist if installation is possible. 3. Does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on eMachine W4620 Possible?

Can anyone tell me:

1. If Linux can be installed on an emachine W4620 ( Turion, ATI Radeon ).

2. What major problems exist if installation is possible.

3. Does the W4620 BIOS support booting from USB HD?

I can't seem to find anything about this or anyone who has done
    it on the net. Thanks for the nfo and time.

Your best chance will be a google search, since the chance anyone on this forum has used that particular model is very small
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    I pretty muchly googled it to death I think this morning. The only mention I could find of it was one posting on Ubuntu forums where the poster had installed Ubuntu on a W4605, but that is a Sempron model. He thought it could be installed on a W4620 the Turion model. I don't know about the BIOS differences, if there are any, the chipset is the same.

Last week, I picked up an HP DV6113US, and spent several days trying install a variety of OSes. The random nature of the errors led me to think that I had problems with downloads and burns, only to find out herein, that the hardware is for the most part not compatible at all with Linux. I've had installation and hardware problems before, but this was the first time that it was almost a brick wall and wouldn't install, boot or run. Am looking for another laptop, and would like to avoid this problem the next time.

I doubt there would be much difference between those two (although you may choose to run the 32 bit version http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...bit-linux.html ) A good site to check is http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good