Find the answer to your Linux question:
Iam a linux newbie who feels the need to famalirize myself with the linux environment. For some reason, I think the headache of installing linux is worth it. maybe not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help installing fedora core 5 on toshiba laptop

Iam a linux newbie who feels the need to famalirize myself with the linux environment. For some reason, I think the headache of installing linux is worth it. maybe not right now because Iam experience a lot a problem just getting started.

I just recently install fedora core 5 on my toshiba satellite A60/65 laptop. Fedora Core 5 was installed sucessfully but it freezes at the point after I enter my username and password. When I initially install fc 5, I was able to briefly play around on the desktop for about 30 sec then my system froze. I had to press the power button to shut it down. Every time I repeat this process, the booting process keeps regressing. Now its at the point where the system freezes immediately after I enter my username and password. if I do it the interactive startup it still freezes.

Iam able to login through command prompt but not the default GNOME/GDM

Is there anyone that has an idea as to how this can be fix? I will really appreciate whatever input I get. Remember Iam a newbie so please try to keep it in simple terms.

which graphics card do you have? in command line, execute 'system-config-display' command.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    monitor type: unknown monitor

video card: ATI technologies inc Radeon mobility 7000 IGP

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    in GRUB screen, select Fedora title, press 'e'. select kernel line and press 'e' again. add <space> 3 at the end of line. press Enter key and press 'b'. system will boot up in command line mode. log in as root and execute 'system-config-display' command. select Generic Monitor in Monitors list. execute 'startx' to check GUI.
    in case, it doesn't work, execute 'less /etc/X11/xorg.conf' and post the Monitor and Screen section here.

Casper

Just Joined!
    this is what I get after executing startx at cmd line:

xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.2450
    xauth: creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
    xauth: creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:

Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    and start again.

Xlib: connection to ": 0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
    giving up.

xinit: unable to connect to X server
    xinit: No such process (errono 3): Server error

this is after the less/etc/X11....command:
    #Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    indentifier "single head configuration"
    screen 0 "screen0" 00
    inputdevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    inputdevice "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
    inputdevice "Mouse0" "AlwaysCore"
    EndSection

Section "Files"

#Multiple FontPath entries are allowed ( they are concatenated together)
    #By default, a font server independent og the X server is
    #used to render fonts.

FontPath "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    load "dbe"
    load "extmod"
    load "fbdevhw"
    load "glx"
    load "record"
    load "freetype"
    load "type1"
    load "synaptics"
    load "dri"

EndSection

section "Monitor"

###comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:

identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Unknown monitor"

###comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:

HorizSync 31.5-37.9
    vertRefresh 50.0 -70.0
    option "dpms"

endsection

Section "Device"
    indentifier "Videocard0"
    driver "radeon"
    VendorName "videocard vendor"
    BoardName "ATI techonologies inc radeon mobility 7000 IGP"

endsection

Section " screen"

Idetifier "screen0"
    Device "videocard0"
    monitor " Monitor0"
    defaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    viewport 00
    depth 24
    modes "800x600" "640x480"
    endsubsection

section "dri"
    group 0
    mode 0666
    endsectin

contents of xorg.conf are OK. resoultions ( modes ) are low. HorizSync and Vertirefresh rates are also low. check Monitor's Manual for supported values.

boot up in command line mode and execute startx. if you get same error
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    and start again.
    execute this
    Code:
    rm -f /tmp/.X0-lock
    and try 'startx' again.

Casper

Just Joined!
    when I tried to remove that file, I get an error message stating that the operation is not permitted.

you must be logged in as root OR login as normal user and execute 'su -' command to gain 'root' privileges.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Thank you so much.. You have once again restore my hope of joining the linux community. Thanks to you Iam now able to browse my new linux application without the system freezing.

By the way what was the premise of this issue I was having. Is it because that file is corrupt? and is there a way to permanently remove the file so that I don't have to remove it each time I try to login?

Is root the only way I can log into the linux or is it possible for me to log through the user name I setup during installation? and will I need to remove that file everytime I login through command prompt?

I was also wondering how do I configure linux to detect my wireless card when I want to access the internet in linux. When I initially install linux, I set to automatically configure DCHP. Is there anything special I need to connect to a wireless network or will it automatically detect wireless networks with in range as in windows?

you can login as normal user but you need root privileges to remove the lock file.
    login as normal user and execute 'su -' command. this command provide root privileges to normal user. remove lock file and execute 'startx'.
    execute 'sustem-config-display' command after successfully logging in GUI. reboot and check if it works. in case, it doesn't solve the problem, post the contents of /etc/inittab file.

I was also wondering how do I configure linux to detect my wireless card when I want to access the internet in linux. When I initially install linux, I set to automatically configure DCHP. Is there anything special I need to connect to a wireless network or will it automatically detect wireless networks with in range as in windows?
    i would suggest you to start a new thread in Wireless Forum so that other members could also pour-in their valuable suggestions.

Casper