Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, My current hard drive in my laptop is making noises and may be about to fail. I am thinking of buying a new, larger Hard drive. My current system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Copy Hard Drive Images

Hi,

My current hard drive in my laptop is making noises and may be about to fail. I am thinking of buying a new, larger Hard drive.

My current system is dual boot with one windows xp partition, one linux partition and one FAT partition used by both. Is there any software which allows me to copy my old drive exactly to the new drive keeping all the paritions intact?
    Also, would such software allow me to resize my paritions since it is larger hard drive and I want to use a higher proportion for linux.

Does this follwing software/kit do the job?
    Apricorn EZ Upgrade Universal Kit - storage enclosure - IDE - Hi-Speed USB

It says it runs on windows, so I am wondering if it will do a good backup of only the windows parition. Would appreciate any suggestions. I think I would also need a way to transfer the image between the hard drives, through some USB cable maybe?

Thanks,
    geek

Just Joined!
    dd works well it will make an exact copy you will have to although you will need to create a partition the same size as the old drive

the dd command copies the source drive or partition to the target drive or partition block by block. With dd you can craete perfect images of drives or partitions

Just Joined!
    note that I am using a laptop and dont have two hard drives connected at the same time. So how do copy images from one to the other if I am using dd.

geek

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close