Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm interested in getting one or two more very small, very light laptops to run just wordprocessing and .mp3 player, preferably on OpenOffice (not just Abiword). I need a 12" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightest, Smallest Pentium II or III Laptop You Have Running Linux?

I'm interested in getting one or two more very small, very light laptops to run just wordprocessing and .mp3 player, preferably on OpenOffice (not just Abiword). I need a 12" screen and 1024x768 screen res (not a 10.1 with 800x600).

Anyone runnng something with a small/fast distro on a very thin/light laptop?

~jordan

Just Joined!
    im running dynebolic on an ancient IBM thinkpad pentium 2, its very light and dynebolic runs very fast on this computer (much faster than when the computer was running windows 98 *shudder*) Dynebolic is also great if the computers are networked because it automatically clusters networked compters.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by djsteiner
    im running dynebolic on an ancient IBM thinkpad pentium 2, its very light and dynebolic runs very fast on this computer (much faster than when the computer was running windows 98 *shudder*) Dynebolic is also great if the computers are networked because it automatically clusters networked compters.
    Which Thinkpad? A 600? 600e? How much ram?

TIA!

~jordan

Just Joined!
    yes, i think it's a 600e with 64mb ram

Just Joined!
    Hello,

I am working on a smaller screen than what you desire (I'm on 12.1 @ 800x600), but my small and underpowered laptop does surprisingly well. I am on a Thinkpad 390X, 400mhz celeron processor, 256mb ram, 4.5gb hddd, wi-fi working, and it does the job for me. I work on research papers in open office, listen to mp3's, work on my online college classes, keep up on e-mail and news. I am using Ubuntu 6.06, and i don't feel any major lag when opening programs or surfing the web. Open office does take a bit to load, but once loaded its fine. Its a 400mhz processor, but I would have guessed 600 - 800 mhz in Ubuntu. It doesn't seem as bloated as when I used Mandrake or RedHat. I got the laptop for free because someone was throwing it away because it was "use-less and underpowered, outdated". I have been using it for 3 years now. Its like a rocket when using a small distro like damn_small_linux. Anyway, I hope you find a good laptop that works for you, its nice to see someone asking about older machines, and breathing new life into them. Have a good day.

-Eric-

I have an old HP omnibook xe3 600MHz @ 64Mb and running vector linux.
    Having 128Mb ram will greatly benefit your system. Although I am using XFCE as a windows manager and seamonkey instead of firefox, my system is a bit slow.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!

I Have a Compaq Armada 1700 from 1998

and I run Vector Linux 5.8 on it. It is a Pentium II 266 and I maxed out the RAM at 160 Mb. This is well worth doing on an old machine as 128 Mb of memory cost me only $25 or so Canadian. Some Linux distros require at least 128 Mb to run.
    I didn't try Open Office as I have another desktop machine with 512 Mb of RAM that runs Linux much faster.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I have a Compaq Evo N410c which is a great little machine. PIII 1.2Ghz, 256Mb Ram, 12" screen (1024 x 768 ). I have it running Fedora 4, which probably isn't the smallest version of Linux, but it runs pretty well. It takes a while to boot and load some applications (open office being one of them) but I hope another 256Mb of Ram will fix that. I'm still setting it up, but hardware wise, it is great.

Just Joined!

Mint 2.2 with Xfce on Dell Lattitude

Using Mint 2.2 with XFce desktop on an old Dell Lattitude CSx, 500mhz and 256mb of ram. This is a 14" screen lightweight, does not have built in floppy or cd drive. Runs fair, Mint was not a lightweight dist, mostly the same as Ubuntu, but included linux drivers for several chipsets that other distributions did not have.

was running a pII 233mhz 64mb ram laptop (hp omnibook 2100) on damn small linux (DSL) v1.2 i think, and could run openoffice on it quite happily. had some issues with soundcard but the guys on the forums got it sorted so that i could use it for cd and web streaming
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast