Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a dell latitude 400 mhz pentium 2 that I am going to install linux on - probably DSL. I do not know how linux works internally so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux and video memory management on a dell latitude

I have a dell latitude 400 mhz pentium 2 that I am going to install linux on - probably DSL. I do not know how linux works internally so I am posting this question. I love the notebook and find it useful for almost everything I need a portable computer for. I am looking into linux to recovery more hard drive space, allow me to work with the Chinese language more easily.

My notebook only has 4mb or 8 mb of ram. this is the only sore spot in its flawless character. When I am surfing the web I often have 25 or 30 windows open at one time. Is there some way with Linux to tell the computer to use some of the memory on the motherboard for videoram? Is there some install that would be better suited to do this task? I will be shortly upgrading the ram to 512 mb so will have a handy surplus.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Apparently it can be done :
    http://hedera.linuxnews.pl/_news/200...long/1445.html

The article is quite dated though, but it seems actual enough to just work.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee